Sunday, February 14, 2010

 

Rumor patrol

There is much speculation that Baylor will name a new president on Tuesday.

Here is one rumored candidate I know personally and think highly of. There is a possible hitch, though, as Dean Starr is a member of the Church of Christ, and the Baylor president has always been a Baptist. If that is not an obstacle, Ken Starr would be a great choice as the next president of Baylor University. I very much hope the rumor is true.

I realize that people may be surprised that I feel this way, as Dean Starr and I disagree on many political issues. However, he is a competent administrator and a passionate educator, and often collaborates with others who are not conservative. I don't want a President who agrees with me about politics; I want one who makes Baylor succeed.

True story of Ken Starr: A few years ago, one of the first year professors at Pepperdine Law resigned abruptly, leaving no one to teach civil procedure. Dean Starr himself stepped into the breach and taught the class with passion and competence, winning him street cred with faculty and students alike.

Comments:
Not to add to the rumor mill, but a little bird on the main campus told me the same. It appears a number of the more prestigious facilities are being prepared for a big event Monday or Tuesday. I.e., press conferences and the like.

I met Dean Starr once, and liked him much more than I thought I would after the impeachment BS. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like Clinton, but what a bunch of BS) Starr's a very capable academic leader, too, from all reports, but there's no way Baylor's going to hire him or that he's going to move to Waco.
 
Not a life long member of the Churches of Christ. He attended McLean Bible Church (non-denominational) for a dozen or more years before coming to Pepperdine.
 
Anon-- Thanks for the correction. I will make that change (I think I picked that off of another blog, which is rarely a good idea).
 
Among other things, Ken Starr has been an IP litigator and once spoke at the ABA-IPlaw section meeting on the topic. Very nice guy.
 
By the way, going back to the original post -- it was CivPro he stepped in to teach for the spring semester.
 
Got it-- I will fix that, too. Thanks. At least the substance was right about him stepping in!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#