Wednesday, February 24, 2010

 

It's time for the Baylor/A & M Hatefest 2010!


Tonight I'll be at the big Baylor/A & M basketball game here in Waco. For some reason, this has become a very heated rivalry (I'm from Michigan, so I don't know much about in-state rivalries; we really only have one strong school). At this game last year, in fact, the ESPN announcer said with a straight face that he "feared for his life" and that the crowd had "turned ugly."

The fact is that I really like A & M. Many of my favorite students came from A & M, including many of the best writers, a fact which flies in the face of my theory that the best writers come from small schools.

I like the strong traditions and identity at A & M. I find that to be a constant at the schools I like best-- you never get the idea it was anyone's second choice (Yale Law has this quality, too).

For law school purposes, too, I like the fact that A & M produces strong personalities like Jed or one of my favorite Razorites, the Dallas ADA (who is an Assistant D.A., not an Americans with Disabilities Act, as some have implied).

A few years ago, I was asked to give a Wiley Lecture down at A & M. I had never been on the campus before, but I was the recipient of tremendous hospitality. I was given a parking space to shoot for, and when I pulled in, a group of students walked up to greet me and take me to dinner. I was fascinated by the culture of the place almost immediately.

When it was time to give the lecture, I was shown into a full room. There was a professor there to introduce me, and a student to introduce him. The student approached the podium, looked up, and said "Howdy!"

"Howdy!" yelled everyone back at her.

At this point, I leaned over to the professor, and asked him what the heck was going on. "If you say "howdy" to people," he explained, "they have to say it back."

I began my lecture with about three rounds of "howdy!" It was a good day, one of those lush green fields...

Comments:
Choosing the best athletic team between Baylor and A&M is like picking the prettiest waitress at Waffle House.

/hook 'em.
 
Hmm, that's an interesting comment since Texas is currently looking up at both Baylor and A&M in the conference standings.
 
I heart the waffle house.
 
Justin ~ LOL

(no affiliation to any TX schools)
 
Baylor has exactly two national championships and A&M has eight.

Texas has 47.

I rest my case.
 
Osler's lovin' on A & M! I would have thought this unlikely.
 
This post made me throw up a bit in
my mouth. I like Jed and Dallas
ADA too, but sometimes good people
make bad choices, and those would
be two perfect examples.

I also like Waffle House.

RRL
 
I hate waffle house. My eight year old brother calls it Awful House, and thinks that's hilarious.

And I know nothing of football.
 
Osler IS lovin' on some A&M. Some Baylor, too. I like it....
 
And Dallas ADA has made at least TWO good choices....
 
I think Dallas ADA is going to get an even bigger head after this post. I mean, he may even decide Little Caesar's isn't good enough for him anymore!
 
Wait, Dallas ADA has made at least THREE good choices....
 
I'm guessing Sleepy Walleye hasn't seen this post yet....
 
Apostates, heretics, and general villains. Naught good comes by way of that backwater. Its people are to be shunned, given no aid nor comfort, and kept away through the vigilant commission of good acts and the employment of prayer, charms, spells, and other accoutrements for driving away the foul or noxious spirits. A fetish or religious icon placed at every portal to the home will bar them entry, as will the liberal use of the colors "burnt orange and white," or in direst circumstances, "red and black." The invocation of Roy Rogers will turn all but the most powerful Aggies, whereas a recitation of the cantrip "The Eyes of Texas" is sufficient to repel all attempts at invasion of property, mind and soul.
 
Sleepy Walleye sounds like a mobster name, like Skinny Fats or Rink Allegro.
 
Justin--

Wow!

In real life, Sleepy Walleye is Rink Allegro's brother.

I couldn't make this stuff up.
 
Congrats to the Bears on their wins this week (both the men and women beat A&M). I was at a Baylor pastors' retreat during the women's game - amazingly I wasn't the only pastor in maroon. There aren't many Aggie preachers in the world but we do our best to remind our religious counterparts from Waco that good things can come from Nazareth.
 
Taylor--

Hulitt Gloer told me about the pastor's conference-- we teach a class together. Next time you are here, you have to call me!
 
Wow, looks like you got away with your shot at MSU.

Don't have any bad dreams about Sparty the Spartan chasing you down.
 
IP-

Yeah, how 'bout that? I suppose I'll just chalk it down to the low reading comprehension skills of Spartans.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#