Friday, February 12, 2010

 

Haiku Friday: Family Legends and Snow


Ok, I'll admit it-- I've been kind of busy, and did not get over to the Mayborn Museum to get new photos of things in the curiosity cabinets there. Sorry, man.

Instead, this week we will have two topics:

1) Snow
2) Family legends

I've been thinking about the second topic for a while. Recently, my dad recounted one of my favorite family legends of all-- the time that he and his cousin Toughy went down to Tijuana, and only my dad came back. Here is the resulting haiku:

Madcap Mexico,
Revelry, women, police.
Duh! "Toughy and Spike."

Now it is your turn... just follow the magical recipe of 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables.

Comments:
Snow

Beautiful, small, cruel.
Weightlessly trapping us here
Bound together, warm.
 
She fled on a raft
Yet she wed seven husbands
Oh, her civil war.
 
Snow, how I miss thee.
I am bound to tropical hell
Palms for want of pines.
 
Freshly fallen snow
Renewer of hopes and dreams
But PC melts all.
 
In 1931
12 feet of snow in Waco
Dawson still held class.
 
Cabin in the woods
Blanket of heavy white snow
Smoke, climbs the chimney


ps. Lane - stop complaining. Oh wait, you are about to be invaded by college spring breakers.
 
Toughy?
 
Yes, Cousin Toughy.
You know that my dad is "Spike."
Quite a pair, I'm sure.
 
Abandoned coal mines,
Where just canaries and Dad
Dare to go alone.
 
Leafy, dirty snow
Barely enough to gather:
Ta da! A snowman!
 
The snow fall at night,
Covering both the just and
the unjust alike.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#