Wednesday, February 17, 2010

 

A Great Speech at Baylor (2010)


This afternoon in a jam-packed room at Baylor's Student Center, Ken Starr introduced himself to the Baylor community. It was the most electric atmosphere here since the speeches by Bill Underwood and Randall O'Brien referred to in my previous post.

It was an excellent speech. There were some subtle things I really enjoyed. For example, he described himself as the kind of leader exemplified by Barnabas in the Book of Acts. He made this reference but did not explain it; he assumed (correctly) that nearly all of his audience would recognize the figure of Barnabas as one best known for providing encouragement and support in the very early church.

That reference told me two things. First, he did know his audience and spoke at exactly the right level to them. Second, his speech was not highly religious (those who think it was should look up some video of other talks at Baylor), but still signaled his faith as a source of his worldview.

The remainder of his speech was consistent with his allusion to Barnabas, too. There was no negativity-- no one was attacked, and he clearly conceives of the University as one unified and worthwhile whole. The buzz in the room as we left (I stood in the very back, and had a great view of the crowd, if not Dean Starr) was very positive.

After the speech, the Noze Brothers appeared to do something involving nose-glasses.

It was a good day for Baylor.

What are you hearing? Are people warming up to this pick?

Comments:
What I am hearing - loudly - is that the chasm between main campus and the law center will have to grow deeper and more treachorous OR a lot of the money that built it will dry up fast. One donor told me personally that it was a good thing the ten year pledges had all been paid before this was announced. My theater alum friends are also not too pleased. My in-laws with no real baylor connection are very happy. They looked up from Fox News to tell me so. As for me. I mostly agree with you. And I do believe this pick is in line with what Baylor has said it wanted for the last ten years.
 
Mostly positive. There are some who will never support this hire. You just move on. If he wins over the students and faculty, he's golden I think, and I think he can do that. People I think are overreacting to his association with the Lewinsky affair. He seems to be a Christian man, but one who is an independent thinker which I think is GREAT! I absolutely loved his words about "God's Truth" and that if we are Christians then no truth or pursuit of truth should frighten us. I was pleased to see that students showed up in support of him even as some students protested. Bold decisions will always galvanize opinions on all sides. If you don't want this reaction, you hire a Lilly. Most people are very excited.
 
It's worth noting that Ken Starr's description of all truth as God's truth is something Bill Underwood also said many times as Interim President at Baylor.
 
At first I was shocked. Then I read Starr's entire biography (not just the Clinton stuff). I am an independent who votes for the candidate, not the party. Baylor Baptists have always liked controversy. I think Starr is a good choice for Baylor and will prove to be an asset for the law school.
 
Mr. Osler, I had heard the philosophy on "God's Truth" several times, but was unaware it originated with Underwood. It's a great philosophy! Glad to see Starr embraces it as well.
 
I don't think Underwood created that idea, but I do know that he embraced it. It's an essential viewpoint for a mainstream academic institution with a faith identity.
 
Judge Starr came by our PC class this morning and was introduced by Dean Toben. He seemed like a nice and humble man. While he may be on the opposite end of the spectrum from me politically, all I care about is what he can do for our law school.

If he could get Pepperdine, previously in the third tier, ranked higher than us in only a few years, I'm excited what he can do for us.
 
Is there any way we could get Dean Starr and Former President Clinton to do some Practice Court exercises with us? I would love to see that.
 
Justin - I'd fly to Waco to see that too.
 
Justin-- I would enroll in Law School at the age of fourteen to see that.
 
Justin, I would re-enroll for another round of PC to see that. (but I'd drop out after the event - not like they can take my degree away)
 
Overall, high marks. The Barnabas part was my favorite as well--it was deliberate, effective, and laudable, but it did not seem contrived. Encouragement is a high calling.

I was also pleased at the prominent endorsement of academic freedom.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#