Wednesday, January 20, 2010

 

Blog Origins



A long time ago, back in 2006, I started this blog with a specific purpose. That purpose was to show my students more of myself, and have broader conversations than we could have in class. I realize, after writing about Prof. Freed on Monday, that this project was an extension of how he had treated me and his other students. Thus, I suppose, this blog is also a part of his legacy.

Here is what I had to say about that purpose back in September, 2006:

I'm a teacher. It's a great job, the best job I can imagine. I'm lucky enough to work at a school where the students are very hard-working, diligent, passionate, and interesting. My colleagues, likewise, are extremely hard-working and passionate. I worry, though, about the interaction between these two groups. I fear the students think (with some reason) that we profs present ourselves as Gods of the Law who periodically descend from the 3d floor to scatter doctrine around like bread crumbs and then retreat to our aerie.

I figure it wouldn't hurt to share some recipes now and then to break down that stereotype.

There are limits, of course. I will not refer to students by name unless I am handing out a compliment. Also, I probably can't comment on any controversies involving the administration of the law school. Finally, there are some details of my life I won't divulge here for the simple reason that because of my work as a prosecutor, there are people getting out of prison who might hold a grudge, and I need to protect others from that threat. I'm fine if they come after me.... he he he. I've got Vic the Demon Pimp on my side.

At a school like Baylor, which tends to be intense, community is an important thing. I want this to be a good thing for that community as a whole, because that place, those people, are at the center of the vocation I have chosen.

Comments:
Vic the Demon Pimp? Why hasn't he ever reappeared on the blog? Did you bring him with you from Detroit?
 
I think Vic was the LSU mascot.
 
Vic the Demon Pimp is the mascot of Northwestern Louisiana State. He's come back up once or twice.
 
Looks like Vic may have ties to the Russian Mob. Did you pick him up when you travelled to Moscow those many, many years ago?
 
I like how the photo chosen depicts the apparently enigmatic advent of industrialism. Look how they gaze in wonder at Otto and his engine.
 
Nick--

That is part of a Diego Rivera mural in Detroit. It shows Henry Ford himself teaching about buidling engines. The engine is amazing-- especially because it has little feet.
 
I'm glad you welcome outsiders in on this convesation.

Strike that.

I'm glad you permit outsiders in on this conversation.

Strike again.

I'm glad that you (a) welcome, (b) permit, or (c) lack the proficiency to prevent the intrusion of others to this conversation.
 
TL--

You had it at "welcome." At this point, the blog is more than I meant it to be when I started, and I'm glad of that!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
've followed this blog from the beginning, and it's great. Keep it up.

Oh, and here's a translation of the Russian (as much as I could do; haven't spoken it in 9 years):

GPS Navigation (для automobile, КПК, telephone)

“ДЛЯ taxi” (с адресной частью – continent домов, дробная часть);
“ДЛЯ ПУТЕШЕСТВИЙ” (Ukraine, Russia, Estonia, Asia);
“ДЛЯ ОХОТЫ and РЫБАЛКИ” (topographic).

http://gps-group.hdd1.ru
[url=http://gps-group.hdd1.ru]Узнать подробнее…[/url]

Контроль передвижных объектов
(automobile, грузов, ценных предметов and document, сотрудников, детей, стариков, [some derivation of "love"] животных).

Оптимизация затрат but транспорту
мониторинг, диспетчеризация транспортных средств: контроль маршрута - левые рейсы; необоснованный простой.

Контроль расхода топлива
transportation средств (недолив, слив).

http://gps-group.hdd1.ru
[url=http://gps-group.hdd1.ru]Узнать подробнее…[/url]

Охрана объектов

• (передвижных, стационарных) - дистанционная охрана объектов, возможность дистанционного влияния на контролированный объект.
• Прием тревожных сообщений от объекта наблюдения в случае несанкционированного вторжения, угона, аварии. Прием тревожных сообщений при активации «Тревожной» кнопки.
• Дистанционное управление различными устройствами, how на мобильных, so and на стационарных объектах (например, in случае получения сигнала об угоне – дистанционно блокировать двигатель automobile).

http://gps-group.hdd1.ru
[url=http://gps-group.hdd1.ru]Узнать подробнее…[/url]
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#