Tuesday, January 19, 2010

 

On Writing

If someone I don't know asks me what I do, I always respond that I am a teacher. It's true, too-- I view the most important part of my job to be teaching, and that encompasses much of my daily activity (including much of my writing).

Often, though, I feel like an actual writer, and I love that feeling. It is different than being a teacher-- the opposite in some ways. For example, teaching is necessarily a social skill, done in community with others. Writing, on the other hand, is a solitary pursuit.

Still, for me, writing can get a little rowdy. At times I am quiet and contemplative, but sometimes I pace around, listen to music, sing, and talk it out-- it almost like I have to wrestle, physically, with the ideas to make them come out.

So, if you came by my office last night and saw that... sorry, man.

Comments:
If you're not already using it, try Pandora.com out for good session music. A good station I've recently come across is "Phoenix." They've got a good rock edge with a bit of an electronic groove to it, and it really is good to write to.
 
I'm far more disturbed by the chanting and sounds of live animal sacrifice from Prof. Guinn's office.
 
I worry about the sound of hysterical cackling and blades being sharpened coming from Bates' office.
 
Justin--

That's only right before hockey practice.
 
Prof. Bates is the fourth Hanson brother... and I don't mean the pop group.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#