Monday, January 04, 2010

 

Heroes and mentors


Last night, I had dinner with my favorite professor from college (along with his wife, parents and some friends). 27 years ago, I took every class I could from him. I loved what he taught, but I also loved how much he loved it-- his passion for his subject made me care about it, too.

When it was time to become a teacher myself, I remembered how he taught. I knew that part of it would always be maintaining my own excitement about the subject, so that I would have a chance perhaps of drawing people in the way that he had done to me. Once in a while I do get it right, and there is nothing more satisfying.

When we shine, it is always reflected light.

Comments:
I agree, it was the same Prof. that you mention who led me to major in Government. But, I have to say I still have no clue what was going on in that Statistics/polling class. I was totally lost and didn't deserve the C I received.
 
This professor sounds like a great man who teaches a really interesting class. Can I take it now. My mind is probably ready for it. It is nice when there is someone who touches your life so deeply during the tumultuous college years.
 
I think you do an excellent job maintaining your excitement. I wish I had become interested in criminal law earlier so that I could have taken more of your classes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#