Wednesday, October 21, 2009

 

Hospitality and Light



[click on the photo to enlarge it]

I love this photo. It's not new-- it is from a dinner party once, where people went out to the guest house for drinks before dinner. There is something about the light that is so nice; there is a warmth in light like that, the kind that seeps out of a happy place at night, when the air is a little cool. I love the framing of the people through the door, too... there is a sense of comfort there.

This is a wonderful season for hospitality. This weekend, I will make some corn chowder, which is perfect for fall. I have a recipe, but it is more of a general suggestion than anything. Other than its general admonition not to boil the milk, I will vary and deviate (as we say in the sentencing world). I may pick some of my rosemary and thyme, throw that in, and some wine, and scallops, and the corn, which I will cut off the cobs with a thick sharp knife. I love all of that, even the cutting and chopping, the sounds and smells of it.

Speaking of food and hospitality-- I know that I promised recipes, and I have pretty much failed to deliver. Today's Baylor Lariat, though, actually had a recipe that sounds great, provided by Religion Professor Eric Holleyman. Check it out:

Coffee Rolls

2 packages yeast
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
5 cups plain flour
Oleo
Cinnamon
Brown sugar
Chopped pecans
Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons warm milk


Directions:

Mix 1 ¼ c. flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl.
Heat milk, water and shortening to lukewarm and pour over flour mixture and beat 2 minutes.
Add eggs and ½ c. flour and beat 2 minutes on high.
Stir in additional flour to make soft dough.
Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead 20-25 times or until satiny.
Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
Punch down.
Divide into 3 equal parts.
Roll into rectangles and spread with oleo and sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon.
Roll, shape into ring and place in pans.
Let rise until double.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and warm milk.
Drizzle over warm rings and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Comments:
Can we post other recipes here? Is that ok?
 
Those sound TERRIBLE! (but can I have one?)
 
Heading off to Cinnabon at the Mall. Thanks for the calories!

I cooked a wonderful new chicken recipe last night and it only took 45 minutes from prep to table. It is from the new 'Gourmet' cookbook (don't let the cookbook deter you) that is coming out as the magazine folds.

You can find it online at
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113758495

This is a FRESH AIR interview between Teri Gross and Ruth Reichl. You can also find it at npr.org if the link doesn't work. It was the 1st of the 2 recipes attached to the story.
 
Like that photo. It makes me want to come to dinner at your house. So, can I?
 
It's a beautiful photo!
 
Forgot to ask when you are making them. I bet they would make a nice dessert with the corn chowder!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#