Saturday, October 24, 2009

 

Homecoming Saturday


It is homecoming today both at Baylor and at my undergrad alma mater, William and Mary. Today I had discussions with two of my W & M fraternity brothers (IPLawGuy and TallTenor), and it made me wish that I was back in Williamsburg for the the festivities.

Williamsburg was a magical place in October. There were cool nights, but not cold. On a weekend, I remember walking across the sunken gardens to my dorm, and seeing people crossing over in the fog going this way and that. Some coming back from a dance, dressed up; others in a group, singing. I am the kind of person who at times would just stop and watch everyone else. At least once, the sunken gardens was home to an incredible, gigantic snowball fight.

Then there was the year, 1984, that I accidentally split the homecoming parade into two parts, going in opposite directions. It's a long story involving Linda Lavin, a drum majorette, and two years of probation for old Theta Delt, but this is probably not the time and place to tell that particular story.

Comments:
Just can't imagine 'Animal House' on the W & M campus. But given that, which character would you assign to yourself and your fellow W & M razorites? Who is Hoover and who is Bluto?

Toga, Toga....
 
Christine,

Animal House was our model. We played the soundtrack and we pushed the envelope way, way too far.

For instance, the Theta Delt House was next door to the Asia House.. so every year, on or about December 7, we had a Pearl Harbor Day smoker where we'd "get bombed."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#