Tuesday, September 08, 2009

 

Nilsson of my youth



We all remember the songs our parents loved. They were there in the background, maybe coming up from the basement late at night or in the living room before dinner. There are some songs that even now don't sound right unless they are coming out of the big box speakers my Dad built.

My parents had good taste in music, and a broad range of affections, so I grew up with both the Beatles and Bill Monroe, Ella Fitzgerald and John Lee Hooker. More than anything, though, the music that marked my childhood, that I remember best, are the songs of a man named Harry Nilsson. He was a friend of John Lennon and a troubled soul, a brilliant musician who did not fit into any of the musical categories or trends of the time. People may remember his song Everybody's Talkin', from the film Midnight Cowboy, or maybe his theme song from the Bill Bixby tv show The Courtship of Eddie's Father. Nilsson had a warm, wistful voice and way of emotionalizing even small things like a child's desk.

I keep thinking that those songs will fade in my mind, the way I have forgotten who lived two doors down or what my hockey teams were called. But songs aren't facts. Songs are blood cells that circulate through the body, forever, ready to rise up and take over your thoughts when a melody emerges or perhaps you smell the scent of fresh bread or mown grass. Each love has a song, at least one, and the song is there long after the love in many cases, so that opening notes will make an older woman squeeze her thumb and finger together so as not to let on to others the place her mind has gone.

So I haven't gotten rid of Nilsson. I probably wrote the only law review article ever structured around Nillson's work, in fact.

Since I can't get rid of them, I have begun listening, really listening, to those songs again. Most of them are profoundly sad. They are about what is missing in a life, be it peace within or a person deeply loved. Though I am a profoundly happy person, I suppose that Nilsson is my equipoise; as happy as I may be with where I am or what I see, there will always be those holes, small or large, and those songs that drifted up from the basement on a snowy night as I did homework on a blue wooden desk still define that part of me-- a part I would rather not see or feel, but will be there nonetheless.

Not so long ago, I was traveling out of town. The journey was much worse than I had expected, and I had that weariness of soul and body that can only come when travel intersects with disappointment. I walked into my room, threw my bag by the door, and sat on the edge of the bed for a minute. It was very quiet right then, and I usually like quiet, but I wanted a little sound, so I turned on the radio and there was his voice. I knew all the words, so I sang along, every bit, and when it was over I turned the radio off because it had done everything a radio is capable of-- delivered a moment of connection, of deep emotion and heart. I kicked off my shoes and laid down, a little more complete. My blood was still my blood.

Sing it, Harry:


Comments:
My parents listened to Neil Diamond incessantly. I hated it then, but now I like it.
 
My parents listened to The Cure a lot. I think that is why I turned out like this.
 
Alzheimer's patiets often remember music even when everything else--cognition, orientation, sometimes even speech--is gone. I practically grew up in a nursing home and usually it doesn't get to me. But a few years ago, I was working the front desk during the summer, and I heard a group in the main lounge singing. About 40 elderly voices lifted in "God Bless America." I sat at the front desk and cried.
 
Nilsson Schmilsson was a very popular LP at WCWM when I was a freshman in 1978, but by the time you got there in 1981, punk had pushed all the mellow, Flying Burrito Bros, 70's folk rock out the door. And I was very happy about that!

But I have come to appreciate the softer rock sounds over the years. But only sometimes.

Now I must go buy the new Rancid CD to make up for what I just wrote.
 
I'm usually down with your tunes IPLawguy, but I feel like you took a shot at The Flying Burrito Brothers, which is uncalled for given their awesomeness. And I worry about someone actually buying a Rancid record at this point.

It also made me feel old to realize there are kids that are grown up whose parents listened to the Cure a lot.
 
RLL,

If you were driving down I-35 to Austin, would you rather be listening to some mellowed out lazy ass commies or some rockin' anarchists?

I suppose if you and your hippie friends want to hang around the commune and talk about peace and love, the Flying Burrito Bros. are the band for you.

Yeah, I can see the crowd at Old Trafford getting all amped up while listening to California hippie anthems ca. 1970..
 
Oh, boy! An All-Republican music smackdown between RRL and IPLG!
 
My only problem with my parents' music choices is the total lack of organization -- seriously, I've been looking through our CD closet for at least 6 months for a Wilco CD to rip to my iPod, and have yet to find it, and I believe that the first Weezer album has been missing in the Great Abyss of the CD closet ever since last November, when I first found it.

Thank God for iTunes.
 
I'm going to take the hippies in this one. Look, I hate hippies, but hippies have proven over the course of time that when they are playing country music it is generally a good thing. This is the one area in which hippies' desire to avoid work or contributing to society in any meaningful way actually pays off.

The anarchist punks however, well, if it is the Sex Pistols or the Clash then I'm all in. But if it is Rancid then I can do without that. They would have to write at least one good song for me to actually care.

And at Old Trafford the most likely song you will hear is one based on the tune the "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" or one based on the tune of "Country Road." We leave all the punks to clubs like West Ham and Millwall, where they belong. Maybe some Smiths, but I don't think California punk music would be a big hit.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#