Sunday, September 06, 2009

 

Faith without church


[Click on the photo to enlarge it]

Today, I showed up halfway through church just in time to complete my assigned tasks at extended session. I was late because some friends had kindly invited me to their beautiful ranch (pictured here), and it was just very hard to leave.

The experience made me think about those who have faith without church. I don't think that would work for me, since so much of my own relationship with God has an intellectual component, and as such needs to be challenged on a regular basis. For others, they find it is hard to feel their faith or the presence of God without communal worship.

Yet, for many people, they do without church yet still hold close their faith. How or why do they choose this? Is it in tension with Christ's teachings to choose to worship alone?

And would my faith have been better served by praying in that beautiful place where I started the day?

Comments:
I don't know in which way your faith would have been better served . . . but I do think that it's possible to worship in many different ways. I used to sing in an early-music group, for many years, without being a regular church member. The music we sang--most of which was sacred music--and the connection with the group I sang with, served as my worship.

I think it's when you want to work together with people on projects as an outgrowth of your church's priorities that you most need the presence of others in a congregation.

The brother of a friend of mine goes to the National Zoo every Sunday morning and watches the birds. He's done this for many years. That's his form of worship, I suppose.
 
We need both. Christ commanded us to pray always. To me, that means we need to worship wherever we go. And sometimes we need a solitary place for introspection and meditation. Other times we need to be with others to serve them and to be served by them.

Isn't that how Christ worshipped?
 
The biggest problem with Christianity is Christians. I find it easier to believe when I am not around believers.
 
I find Christians both the best and the worst part of Christianity. There is a very fine line between disagreement and condemnation. There is definitely a right side and a wrong side to that line, but that doesn't make it any easier to find. Those on the right side make church a wonderful place to be, while those on the wrong side can make it a hellish impostor.

I've known a lot of wonderful Christians but not many wonderful churches.
 
I am one that finds faith outside of church. There is no place I feel closer to a higher power than alone in nature.

I also do not find that to be a hindrance to my intellectual side of faith. It actually stimulates it due to the dichotomy of science and faith. I believe both can coincide without much of the conflict that, to me, appears to be caused by the church. To me, science is just another way to study God. When I am out in nature studying how it all works together, I am studying God. I am using the gifts of logic and reason that God gave to me to better understand how God wants it all to be.

Being alone with God also forces me to look at myself. I am better able see where I need improvement, rather than comparing myself with others. I better understand myself, and, therefore, am better able to be at my best when I am working with others.

This is what works for me. Others find they need a group. I don't see why both ways need to conflict.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#