Saturday, August 15, 2009

 

Summer Reading


I know I promised that I would start posting junky poetry today, but I realize that I forgot to list my reading from my sojourn at Osler Island. Intriguingly, I followed the same pattern as last year, in which I began with decent books, descended into trash, and then ended up someplace even worse. Here, in order, were the books I read:

1) Made in Detroit by Paul Clemens

This memoir reflects upon the author's years spent living in the city of Detroit before moving to Grosse Pointe. Since my family followed the same pattern, there were many places and events described that overlapped with my own experience. At the center of the story is the issue of race-- as a white growing up in a majority-black city, Clemens has a take on the city that both rings true (at least at times), and makes the reader uncomfortable. In the end, the tragedy is not an individual but the city itself, which devolves into a shambles as the story progresses. It's hard to believe a memoir by a 37-year-old could be worthwhile, but this one is.

Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst

Former student and current Razorite _B_ sent me this one, which I also enjoyed. The premise seems ridiculous-- a man tries to teach his dog to talk so that the dog can explain what happened to his late wife-- but midway through the book it turns into an elegant and profoundly sad tale of a man who is dealing with his beloved's suicide.

Love the One You're With by Ellen Giffin

Let's be honest here: I brought two books and read them too quickly. Desperate, I came upon a borrowed copy of Love the One You're With (which will be the subject of a poem next week). I enjoyed some parts of this book, but its essential trashiness is revealed with one of the most disappointing endings I have read. In short, a woman has to choose between a man who engages her passions but is poor and another whom she feels lukewarm about, but is rich (he mostly plays golf). She chooses the rich one. Oh, sorry-- "spoiler alert." Ah, who cares, the ending is so vapid (it actually describes his big house as a reason to choose him) that it should be spoiled. However, this was not the worst book I read...

4) Bratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi Harrison

Apparently left behind at the island by Sleepy Walleye (it was marked with his name), this is the worst book ever published. Every character is reprehensible, and the heroes are the worst ones of all. Here is a plot summary: Massie and her friends are the coolest and richest girls at Briarwood Octavian Country Day School,with the most expensive clothes and the most exotic lip gloss! In the end, they triumph over the losers at school by spending vast amounts of their parents money! Yay! Suck eggs, only somewhat-wealthy losers! (You can tell who the losers are because they wear clothes from The Gap, and because the author refers to them as "losers"). Now that I think about it, Sleepy never would have brought this book. It must have been his brother...

Lesson for next year: Bring four books.

Comments:
While "Bratfest" sounds awful, I enter "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield as the worst novel ever written. I read it last summer, and not only is it a tawdry rip-off of "Jane Eyre" (don't mess with Bronte!), it also takes most of the "Days of Our Lives" plots to dizzying new heights of amorality.

As a general rule, I believe novels should have one - at most, two - of the following things: incest, children born of incest, identical twins switching identities, ghosts, gruesome suicides, long-lost parents/siblings/children, S&M, child abuse, something nasty in the woodshed, insane asylums, mysterious deaths, rape, claims that one of the characters is "the best living author in the world". This book had them all. Basically, you want to blast the entire cast of characters off the face of the earth for fear that their fictional DNA might spread and "inspire" other authors.
 
Yee --

If you want a really, really fantastic novel that (nevertheless) fits your criteria, read _Waterland_ by Graham Swift.
 
I married a rich, shallow golfer, and I am very happy. So, there!
 
Isn't "Brätfest at Tiffany's" about that girl who brings her friends from school over to her house to eat cheese brats and watch the Badgers game?
 
I'm sorry that you did not read any books about God. All my friends believe in God.
 
I haven't read any really excellent novels this summer either. My Glen Cook Retrospective (which began with the Black Company books) is nearly complete, and I'm finding him to be a far more subtle author than the lurid covers would imply. I am beginning to wonder how I missed these books during my childhood. As a "writer's writer" he's really, really instructive.

Hm. What a wasted summer.
 
Septimus -

I now have a healthy fear of any book that is compared to one of the Victorian classics, but perhaps I'll look into it. :)
 
Oh, it's SO not Victorian! I have a healthy fear of all Victorian classics too. It's much more contemporary, less linear, more creative, wild and wacky...it's fantastic.
 
Yee-

If you want a great take on a Victorian Romance, you should check out Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. All the original text of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, but with scenes of violent zombie mayhem added.
 
Finished:
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
-Sharpe's Regiment by Bernard Cornwell
-Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
-Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis

Reading
-What Hath God Wrought by Daniel Walker Howe
-The Yankee Years by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci
-The Forgotten Man by Amity Schlaes
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#