Thursday, August 06, 2009

 

Recipe for Haiku


Hi Razor Readers! I love getting to do Haiku Friday. This week, I thought I'd try to combine my love of cooking with my lame efforts at Japanese poetry. I was inspired by the photograph pictured. It was taken by my grandmother Mama Dear, at my grandparents' small farm in Ft. Worth. (Yes, that is my family, Mom, Dad, brother Rob Roy and me, I think it's about 1972. And no, my mom is not 3 feet taller than my dad, Mama Dear was REALLY short, hence the weird camera angle.)

My brother and I and all of our cousins were sent to my grandparents farm for a couple of weeks every summer to help out. I secretly think it was so our parents could get a little alone time, but that's another day's post. We picked okra, tomatoes, peaches, you name it, they grew it. My grandfather refused to use a regular tractor, preferring to employ a mule named Kit. So Kit would pull the cart, we would pick stuff and ride the cart when the grownups weren't looking. All very fun. My grandmother either cooked, pickled, canned, or sold the extra produce. It was a great deal all around, fun for us and free labor for them!

Needless to say, Mama Dear was an amazing cook. I offer her cobbler recipe, for your personal enjoyment.

Peach Cobbler

1 quart sliced fresh or frozen peaches
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Combine above in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Set aside.

6 tablespoons butter
1 cup Bisquick
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons butter
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste (lots)

Melt the butter, mix with Bisquick and salt and spices. Reserve ½ cup of this mixture. Spread the remaining mixture in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish and pour hot fruit mixture on top. Mix wheat germ with the reserved Bisquick mixture and sprinkle on top of the fruit. Dot with remaining butter and more cinnamon and nutmeg.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Prepare for nirvana.

Peach cobbler daily
Made by Mama Dear and me
I pick'd, and she peel'd

Love, Mrs. CL


Comments:
Cucumbers, onions,
Mixed with salt, cream, sugar, pepper,
dash of vinegar.
 
To make awesome guac
Requires more syllables than
A haiku allows.
 
Mr Med., Cuke salad
is a summer favorite!
We use sour cream


Pick'in and cann'in
The 'maters aren't ready yet
Jars wait to be filled


Fresh Silver Queen corn
Must pick before the squirrels
Serve hot with butter
 
Love sugar snap peas
Picked right out of summer fields
Eat them raw. Perfect.
 
crystal lowball glass
turn cork cap slowly to right
pour just until splash

And when you're finished, come on over to Jellyfish and contribute a deep thought for Friday.
 
Boil barley or rice,
Add hops to taste and cover,
Let sit four weeks. MMMMM.
 
MRS. CL IS
THE MOST AWESOMEST RAZOR
HOSTESS. FOREVER.
 
Again, thanks everyone for Haiku-ing. I'm always a little nervous. Tyd, you're the awesomest, too!

So if anyone actually makes the Peach Cobbler, let me know what you think, as I am pretty biased, as far a cobbler goes.

Ya'll have a good weekend, I believe Iplawguy is up at bat.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#