Saturday, August 01, 2009

 

Does Anyone Sing about Cars Anymore?



I must admit, I only occasionally listen to pop music or rap. I've always preferred rock and roll, rockabilly, punk and on some days alt country. So I am clearly not an expert on what's popular amongst the vast majority of the listening public. Even so, I do know who the Jonas Brothers as well as the names of many rappers. Do any of them sing about cars?

Rock and Roll, and Rock, artists from Jan & Dean, The Beachboys, Bruce Springsteen, even Led Zeppelin ("Trampled Underfoot") and countless others brought us so many car songs and references to cars: Little GTO, Maybelline, HotRod Lincoln, "barefoot girl sittin' on the hood of a Dodge," etc.

The last big car songs I can thing of are over 25 years old: "Little Red Corvette" by Prince, and "Pink Cadillac" by Springsteen. Is the disappearance of songs about cars just another sign of America's Industrial Decline? Maybe there are rap tunes about Bentleys and Escalades or something, but I've never heard them.

Am I missing something? Are there songs about Hondas, Nissans, Lexuses, Infinitis, the "new" VW Beetle?

IPLawguy

Comments:
Hey, Zeppelin sang about almost anything, including The Lord of the Rings.
 
"Fast Car" by Tracey Chapman
"Killer Cars" by Radiohead
"Dune Buggy" by Presidents of the United States of America

At least "Fast Car" was a pretty big song.

This post made me wish that it had been all about how awesome Chuck Berry was. Man could write a song about anything and it would've been good. Way under-appreciated.
 
Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" is over 20 years old. POTUS' tune is also a relic of the early 90's.

Yes, Chuck Berry does not get the credit he deserves. Michael Jackson wasn't worthy to carry Chuck Berry's amp.
 
There is "Bitchin Camaro" from the Dead Milkmen. But you are right, that is about 25 years old.
 
I think we only sing about car parts. Rappers sing about the size of their rims.
 
Let's not leave out Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"

Sorry I only know 'old' music. I'll have to look at the titles on some of our newer CDs to see what I can find.
 
What about the song "Drive", by the Cars. I think I get double points for that one.

Mrs. CL
 
Still looking for something recorded this century- something not yet on Oldies or Classic Rock stations
 
The Big 3 Killed My Baby by the White Stripes.
 
Nice post, Mr. Sarkozy.
 
I'm pretty sure Toby Keith has a song about cars. Perhaps if I turn on the NASCAR race tomorrow I will hear something.

Vroom, Vroom.

Didn't Randy Newman sing write and sing something for the animated movie called Cars?
 
Well, I found one. "Camaro" by Kings of Leon, which is on their most recent album.

Of course, now the question becomes whether there has been a single good song about cars released this century, because as we all know, Kings of Leon suck. Really bad.
 
Mr. Putin,

Your link to "Identity Theft" offends me deeply. While my husband is convalescing from his recent fall, I am in charge of France and believe your actions rise to the level of a hostile act against France. Perhaps if we can meet in Geneva, Switzerland at the Kipling Hotel before the weekend ends, we can reach an amicable solution. I am prepared to participate in an international incident to avoid one. Sincerely, Carla Bruni
 
The French listen to Rihanna and I assume you ignorant Americans do not. Shut up and Drive. Listen and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAapKx2TvM
 
Carla,

How will you be able to get from Northfield to Geneva that fast?
 
I don't know about songs about cars, but there are plenty of songs associated with cars. Look at the soundtrack of about any car racing video game. Born too Slow by the Crystal Method jumps immediately to mind.
 
I got it:

Adam Sandler
It's called ODE TO MY CAR!

AKA known as Piece of s$&t Car. So its not for the kiddies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-34Fdtg1dI&feature=related
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#