Sunday, August 09, 2009

 

Addictive Games



I played this game A LOT in 8th and 9th Grades. The French version, of course! The American-based search engines could not find an image of the Box in French.

I digress. The point is, I played it over and over and over.

All through high school I used to keep a pack of playing cards in my desk at home and play solitaire (another word the English stole from the French) over and over and over instead of studying.

In college, it was backgammon and cribbage.

When we all started to get computers on our desks in the early 1990's, I used to play minesweeper until my eyeballs bled.

And now I can't stop playing Scramble on Facebook! It's a huge waste of time. I try to justify it, but I know I'm just making excuses. Anyone else out there want to confess?

IPLAWGUY


Comments:
Coup fourre!(correct my French if it's wrong) My Dad, brother and I played Mille Bornes when I was growing up (that, and pinochle) and we always ended up spending more time inflicting flat tires, accidents, speed limits and gas shortages on each other than trying to finish the race.

Played backgammon in college, too, but my obsession in middle and high school was Strat-O-Matic baseball, which I not only played for hours on end, but compiled statistics for 150+ players. (Aced my math SAT, too). Game went computerized about 15 years ago and lost its soul to progress.

My major time-suck these days isn't playing games, but reading and replying on blogs. Go figure.
 
No games for me in high school except for solitaire in front on the TV. In college I played a lot of backgammon (the beer version) and Euchre. We also played marathon matches of Yatzee at our park in the summer time.

Now it is an occassinal game of SkipBo with my mom whenI am visiting.
 
I think it'd be more accurate to say that the French, via William the Conqueror, stuffed their words down ye olde Germanic throat. Imagine law school without the Battle of Hastings: no fee simple subject to executory limitation, and maybe even no RAP. Plus, none of this binary nomenclature (e.g., "breaking and entering") developed by old English barristers holding on to their Germanic roots and reluctantly adding the French synonym to help the lazy French avocats who refused to learn English.

Sigh. I miss Danelaw.
 
I loved playing scrabble with Iplaw but I stopped for some reason Have to start again!! For a while I was addicted to free cell on the computer.

as a kid I would have monopoly tournaments that lasted for days For a while I was into chess.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#