Friday, June 26, 2009

 

Haiku Friday: Texas


I spent much of my week in rural Texas near Marble Falls, where I took this photo on Wednesday. It's the kind of country that Texans love, and this picture shows one reason why-- the beautiful sky, that even on a brutally hot day is hard to ignore.

I was on a cabin porch when a reporter from the AP called to ask about some breaking news-- the Attorney General's comments on federal sentencing. Though the reception was spotty, I offered some thoughts while looking out at the scene pictured here. Apparently, those comments made it into over 500 news outlets around the world, including the Washington Post, the Miami Herald, and even Fox News (gasp).

Texas is like that. You can sit out in the country and ponder an issue, and the next day that thought is all over the world. It is this amazing combination of tradition and what is most modern, the high desert and Dallas, with some sense that the two are connected.

So, let's haiku about Texas:

If I stand right here,
Behind this old mesquite tree
I can see the whole.

Now it is your turn-- you can haiku about Texas weather, Texas summers, Texan Farrah Fawcett, Texas style, Texas sunsets, the Texas Rangers...

Comments:
Big hair, lovely smile
Iced tea, cold Margarita
Texas summer day

My little shout out to my favorite Charlie's Angel

Mrs. CL
 
The red bathing suit,
All those bright white teeth smiling,
She's an angel now.
 
Her hair spelled sexy
A smile that was contagious
Personality!
 
The Texas Rangers
Once Washington Senators
My beloved team
 
The stars at night are
Big and bright; deep in the heart
Of Texas! Homesick.
 
Blue sky, stretching wide
above oak, grass, this good earth,
my love, my Texas.
 
Little town called Click.
Miles of bluebonnets to see
And smell. Yes, that many.
 
One hundred and four
No rain for a month, and my
Hummingbird's missing.
Little things die when
They don't get enough water
It hurts nonetheless. :(
 
Big hair, bigger egos!
Go ahead and secede, y'all.
Food is damned good, though!
 
Farrah you were so
Hard to ignore in the day
Your star burns forever
 
Hail the mighty state:
Texas - bigger than Dallas
With egos to boot ...
 
The week ends? I think
I once knew that before I
Came to Baylor Law
 
Ed, Michael and Miss
Farrah: The seventies died
this week. Rest In Peace.
 
P.S. I think that
MJ had to have been just
surrounded by evil.
 
Allusion-ku desu yo!

West Texas skies loom
We heard what the thunder said
Fear in handfuls of dust
 
Lovely, Lane; T.S. Eliot on Texas . . .

Week of upheavals:
DC Metro, surreal times;
All these people gone

Texas sky must feel
Big enough to hold it all
Grief and joy alike.
 
Tyd, it may be cliché but Eliot is my favorite poet.

*sheepish grin time*

When I'm not bloviating on the Internet like I know anything about anything, or busy keeping bad people in jail, I write. My nominal "novel" derives its theme from "The Waste Land" and is about growing up in a dying oil town in West Texas. I am weaving the Grail narrative that flows through the Waste Land (that of the Fisher King) together with your typical bildungsroman of a Parsifal-like character as he struggles with the social identity of being from a West Texas town.
 
I find that Eliot always puts me in a mood to bloviate.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#