Saturday, April 04, 2009

 

The unglamorous


It was a great week to be teaching class. First of all, my Oral Ad. students did a wonderful job on their presentations, and it was really a pleasure to hear them. It always amazes me the way that talents emerge in that class. Then, in Crim. Prac. and Pro., I think things worked quite well with Blaine McCormick leading the way as we explored negotiation.

Also, sentencing uber-blogger Doug Berman (1 million hits a year) gave me a nice shout-out.

My favorite publication of all time, though, might be this month's Wacoan magazine. The April issue is mostly devoted to a wacky Waco event, the Cotton Palace pageant. For those who haven't heard of it, Cotton Palace is kind of deb ball combined with a history re-enactment. The Wacoan for this month, accordingly, is full of page after page of gorgeously made-up girls, kids, and adults wearing gowns and tuxes. It really is quite a spread. That is, until you get to page 108, which features a half-page picture of me. The picture accompanies a really wonderful story by Mary Darden about Jesus on Death Row-- Mary captured much of what I wanted to do with the book, and now I have another reason to like her.

Still,though, that picture... after all those pages of beautiful people, you get to me. It is picture taken by Larry Bates, who is a super professor but maybe not a stylist. He did capture me perfectly-- hair unkempt, slightly askew, and with half of the collar on my frayed jacket turned up. It really is a great counterpoint to the sartorial splendor in the rest of the magazine. And... don't blame Mary for the photo-- I sent that one over myself, and I think it turned out excellent.

Comments:
You look very GP
 
You weren't the only one featured in a fine Waco publication this month. If you flip to page 13 of your copy of "Waco Today", you'll see what appears to be a federal magistrate in NYC.
 
Christine--

Maybe in the "I just got back from sailing" way...

Jessica--

Oh, yes. Now there's a guy who knows how to dress.
 
You would fit right in at the Yacht Club with a pair of topsiders and NO SOCKS!
 
Yet another reason the Cotton Palace should me killed with fire.
 
Lane reminding everyone he is
a man of the people.

RRL
 
I thought it was a half-page ad for the new Mark Osler Jurisdelicious Grill. "Send the fat in your diet away- for life!"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#