Tuesday, April 07, 2009

 

A new job for a great coach


Baylor men's basketball coach Scott Drew's top assistant, Matt Driscoll, is leaving us to become the head coach at the University of North Florida. While this is a great thing for Coach Driscoll and for North Florida, it's a sad day for Baylor. Coach Driscoll is incredibly hard-working and engaging, and has played an important role in the resuscitation of Baylor basketball the past several years.

I met Coach Driscoll a few years ago. I was running a lecture series at my church on college sports, and Coach agreed to come talk to my class one Sunday morning. Before the class, I was to meet him on the steps of the church at 9:15. Unfortunately, I was late because of something going on at home, and when I got to the church I didn't see Coach on the steps. I was a little panicked, worried that he had given up on waiting for me.

I shouldn't have worried. I shortly found Coach Driscoll, standing inside the foyer greeting people as they walked in. If you know Coach Driscoll, you can imagine him doing this in his intense, focused, and wonderful way, shaking hands, laughing, maybe giving people a coach-slap here and there. Though he had never been to the church before, you would have thought he was a twenty-year deacon, and he might as well have been.

UNF is in good hands.

Comments:
Man...hate to see Driscoll leave, but he definitely deserves to move up. I wish him nothing but luck at UNF (...unless they're playing us, of course).

Dude had us over for Welcome Week a couple years ago. Our group got to meet Mamadou and Jari before classes even started...that was really cool. Cool people. Tough loss for us, though.

(Can Argbf coach?)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#