Wednesday, April 15, 2009

 

Baseball is not eternal



There's a lot to love about Waco, but sometimes there are things I dearly miss. One of them is major league baseball.

The last years in Tiger Stadium, before the move, I shared season tickets with some people from work. I sat in a section full of old-timers, the people who bought a scorecard and brought their own pencil, and genuinely cared what happened. Lou Whitaker would fall, maybe hurt, and a lady behind me would gasp. Ernie Harwell would lean out of the broadcast booth and wave, and they would tell a story about the day they met him, when he was walking out of the park with Al Kaline. People bought the same thing to eat every time, and I did, too-- a bag of peanuts from the corner outside Nemo's bar. The Tigers were good and bad, but the experience was the same, with dusk coming down at the edge of downtown in the old city.

I did see Mark Fidrych pitch once, in 1976. I was thirteen years old. He was having an amazing year, acting like he didn't care what anyone thought. He patted the mound, he talked to the ball, he said crazy happy things to the press. You could tell what was going on by looking at the batters-- Carl Yastrzemski, looking at the mound like he was watching a river flow backwards. And then, a few minutes later, Yaz was walking back to the dugout with a little half-smile on his face as Fidrych smoothed out the mound. At that moment I jumped up when I saw that my Dad did, reached up to slap his hand and happy to be next to him, still a child just like The Bird.

Comments:
Did you know that 'The Bird' threw a pitch every 10 to 11 seconds (on average)? By today's standards it would take 20 to 30 seconds the way the batters are constantly stepping out of the box between pitches.

I got to see Fidrych pitch 3 or 4 times a few times that season from 'obstructed' view seats down the right field line. It was always a treat.

~*~ Off to see the Durham Bulls play at 1:05 today.
 
Fidrych died? What happened? The news story was pretty vague.
 
The 1987 Texas Rangers. Pete O'Brien, Scott Fletcher, Steve Buuuuuechele, Ruben Sierra, Pete Incaviglia, Larry Parrish, Don Slaught, Charlie Hough, Bobby Witt, and the greatest name in the history of baseball...Oddibe McDowell. Heck, Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams was on that team.

In my mind, looking back at this 1987 team, I vaguely remember thinking they were the greatest team in the history of baseball. They must have won 120 games that year. But then I looked it up and they finished 13 games below .500. That is not how I will choose to remember it.

I told a friend the other day that I'm not very awed by celebrity. I've met a few professional athletes, seen some movie and music people up close, but it just doesn't interest me that much. But, I think if I met Oddibe McDowell or Steve Buechele I would pass out. That is how important those guys were to the 7 year old version of me.

Baseball, it is truly the great game.
 
Anon 7:34
You are right the stories have been vague. 'An accident while working on his dump truck'. I think if he had a heart attack they probably would have made that known.
 
This has nothing to do with your post, but I wanted to spread the word about a Baylor Law Alum to all your readers

http://www.thumpers-hole.net/artshow/flyer2009.htm
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I took a Swiss friend to a Rangers game in the early nineties and when Buuuuechelle came up to bat, my Swiss buddy asked why we booed him. Didn't we like him? I explained, it was a play on his name.

Pete Incaviglia (batting 5th) came up and we booed him too. My Swiss friend: Is his name Buechelle also? Me: No. We hate him.

Baseball always makes PERFECT sense.
 
I miss the days of being a Dr. Pepper Junior Ranger and spending many an evening at Arlington Stadium. I also miss Nolan Ryan beating the life out of Robin Ventura.

However, I do not miss Jose Canseco and the off-the-head homerun.
 
I'm not from Texas...I grew up a Cardinals fan...my dad used to take me to a game or two a year (we were about 4 hours from STL).
I remember the first year of interleague play we saw them play the Twins...Willie McGee hit a walk-off homer into the center-field grass...it was awesome
 
Waco at one time had a baseball park and a minor league team, but the park got destroyed in the '53 tornado. Babe Ruth played there once. I believe he stayed at the Regency Hotel, currently the State's office downtown (801 Austin Ave.).

Prof. Osler--Would you buy season tickets if the Rangers moved here? Or would you only go when the Tigers came?
 
If they moved here, I would buy season tickets. I'm pretty sure that is unlikely, though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#