Saturday, March 28, 2009

 

Two Irvings


Today two Irvings died-- Irv Benson and Irving R. Levine. The former was a big influence on me and a fascinating man; the latter was a famous newsman and the father of a friend. I will write about Irv Benson tomorrow.

Irving R. Levine was an old-school newsman who appeared in a bow tie (and with a middle initial) up through the 90's. His reports were well-written, insightful and often very clever. My favorite story of his involved a group of feminists who snuck into toy stores and switched the sound chips in Barbie and G.I. Joe dolls, to hilarious effect.

At the end of the story, of course, his voice was replaced by a young woman's. He will be missed.

Comments:
I can't believe Irv Benson is dead.
 
In my comment above, I was not trying to disrespect Irv's memory or be sarcastic. I actually knew Irv. Sadly, I only met Irv about seven years ago, but he was one of the legendary figures of the Boundary Waters. He was one of the last of his kind - a year-rounder on Lake Saganaga. He lived in one of the last places on Earth where the only real change in the world around you would be the water level of the lake or the occasional forest fire. He sold fishing licenses out of his cabin until a few years ago. He was one of those people that everybody knew. I literally can't believe he is gone forever. To know that he will never be able to greet my children, who I will undoubtedly bring to Lake Sag, is something that I just have trouble grasping. I keep thinking to myself that he will be back, that next summer (I am not a year-rounder myself) I will see him sitting on the porch of his cabin as I boat into Canadian waters, but then I know it is not true. That's the nature of death. It is one of the very few things in this world that is truly permanent. Only one thing I can say for sure: he will live forever in the memory of all those on Lake Sag. When I was younger, my father told me that ,on the night before Irv's wife died, there were the most beautiful Northern lights he had ever seen. All I have to say is- tonight, the year-rounders and spring visitors had better look up in the sky, because I am undoubtedly sure that it will be a spectable worth remembering when Irv goes to join his wife.

-M.B.O.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#