Wednesday, March 11, 2009

 

Oh, boy-- Bookpeople!


My favorite bookstore in the whole world is Bookpeople in Austin. It's a big, rambling independent bookstore full of people who love books. I've spent hours there, days probably, over the past several years. It also has a regular series of readings, and on June 16 (a Tuesday), I'll be giving a reading there.

It might seem silly, but to me this is incredibly exciting. First of all, if there is anyplace where I want people to know about my book it is the Capital of Texas. Texas is, after all, the foremost practitioner of the death penalty in the Western world. Second of all, there have been many times I have walked under that marquee where they list the authors and wondered what it would be like to be one of them.

Now I will know...

Comments:
I hope I'm still in Austin. I'll be there.

It will also be the first time I've gone in to Book People. In the Great Austin Bookstore War, I fight for the guerilla revolutionaries of Half-Price Books.
 
It is on my calendar in PEN. :)

I too am a Bookpeople person, I love the staff recommendations and could read those all day. Only negative in my opinion is that when you exit the parking lot you can only go north and merging (much less turning around) is nearly impossible. I wonder if there is some secret back way I am not aware of?
 
That is so cool. I hope I can make it down. Except I don't think June 16 falls on a Friday for a few years.
 
Doh! You're right, Kendall-- it's a Tuesday.

I had not idea there were bookstore wars in Austin, but I guess that fits... where is this Half-Price Books?
 
HPB has many locations interspersed like freedom fighter cells around Austin. My favored location (due to proximity and the fact that some of my favorite authors drop in from time to time to leave old copies of their books on the shelves) is the South Lamar location.

Really, I shop there because they'll take trade-ins on all books and you can pick up a lot of good books for very little. They don't sell so many new ones, though, so I still keep up my membership at the Barnes and Noble, which is right across the street from my apartment.
 
You've changed your name to Vaishali?
 
I of course fight for Barnes & Noble. We will destroy you all.
 
RRL--

Barnes and Noble has my book, too. Even in Topeka, I'm told.

The stocked it by spending stimulus money, I think.
 
My name is Maximus Legens Libri, commander of the Armies of the West, General of the Enlightend Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, One-Forth Price Books in Houston, Texas.

Father to a poorly-written unpublished play, husband to a computer full of bad poetry. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
 
Fools, all of you! The mighty fury of Recycled Books in Denton shall rain down a hail of pain and destruction on all inferior discount book suppliers in the tri-state area! Feel the wrath of the big purple building on the square!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#