Monday, March 23, 2009

 

No more waiting to exhale


As usual, I learned something today from Doug Berman's Sentencing Law and Policy blog, which reported that Attorney General Holder is turning out to be more of a federalist than any of the Federalist Society favorites President Bush put into that position. In short, the feds will now respect state law and practice regarding medical marijuana.

I recognize that medical marijuana in California is a barely-regulated mess-- I've been to Venice Beach, after all. Still, I do think that the federalism principle does require some policy deference to the states, and I'm glad to see that the Obama administration is taking that seriously.

Comments:
Is that a picture of you and Berman 20 years ago?
 
I'm totally down with this. Hopefully this newfound love of federalism will find its way into more decisions. Doubtful though.
 
I've never understood the idea that liberals/leftists are supposed to be opposed to federalism. There's a point to a strong federal government, yes, but there are also issues that simply are inefficiently managed at the central level.

Centralization can happen under both right and left-wing governments, depending on how much the government wants to micromanage private behavior rather than public regulation.
 
That was Osler and I on Saturday night at Hanks' house.
 
I thought that Lego guy looked kind of stoned.

Sorry I have not been around. I have the Big Reptile/ Fireman Birthday Extravaganza happening on Saturday. I have about 23 kids, 15 adults, 65 snakes two grandparents, and maybe one lawyer coming to my house this Saturday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#