Tuesday, March 17, 2009

 

The Brackets!

First off, congratulations to the Baylor Lady Bears for winning the Big 12 tournament. I was listening to the end of the game while driving and I loved Lori Scott Fogelman's call on it-- the perfect balance between providing info and rooting for the home team. She does a great job.

Now it is time to focus on NCAA brackets. Here are some of the theories I have used to separate the wheat from the chaff in the past:

1) overall record
2) academic reputation
3) shortness of school name
4) feistiness of mascot

Surprisingly, the one time I won a pool (and a large one, at the US Attorney's office in Detroit), I used the academic reputation method. That is, I called close games by favoring the better academic institution. Luckily, that was a year that Princeton, Stanford, and Duke did very well...

All of which, I'm sure, would be approved of by former pro wrestler The Genius (who clobbered opponents with a metal Harvard diploma):


Comments:
Didn't Doug Berman go to Harvard? The Genius looks surprisingly like him...
 
The best wrestler ever was The Ultimate Warrior. I think that's who "The Wrestler" was based on.
 
Best wrestler's ever (no particular order):

-Rowdy Roddy Piper (best talker in the game, ever)
-Stone Cold Steve Austin (2nd best talker in the game, ever)
-Andre the Giant
-Hogan
-Mr. Perfect
-The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase
-Jake "The Snake" Roberts
-The Ultimate Warrior
-The Rock 'n' Roll Express
-The Iron Sheik
-The Road Warriors (Legion of Doom)
-Randy "The Macho Man" Savage (just because of Miss Elizabeth)
-Kamala
-The Freebirds
-Kerry Von Eric

There are more, but that is a nice starting list
 
Oh man, RRL that reminds me of the Hulk Hogan Saturday morning cartoon when I was a kid. Rowdy Roddy Piper was my favorite! Good times.
 
Rick Flare!
 
First of all, I am ashamed, because the very idea that a list of the best all-time wrestlers could exist without Rick Flair is ludicrous. I am upset with myself more than anything.

Obviously, Rick Flair. Obviously.
 
What does any of this have to do with March Madness?
I use the smash and tingle method when ranking my teams. And a little common sense.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#