Thursday, December 25, 2008

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: The Decree of Emperor Augustus


Government works best when what it does makes sense, and this order from Emperor Augustus-- that all the world be registered, by returning to the home of their ancestors to be counted-- simply does not make sense. It is bad enough that the entire exercise is for the sole purpose of taxing each Roman subject, but the method is even worse. The requirement that people travel to ancestral homes, instead of being counted where they now reside, seems only to make the eventual task of taxing those people harder, not simpler. Why not count them where they live, and have those who take the census also collect the taxes? Government regulations are bad enough when they cause hardship only for the purpose of governmental convenience, but it is even worse when they cause hardship with no apparent gain in governmental efficiency. Yet, the Emperor decrees it.

If you doubt the human cost of this order, consider one young couple required to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem for the census, the woman being great with child. As she went into labor, the only place they could find to stay was a stable, and she gave birth there amongst the donkeys and sheep. The baby, a boy, was left to lay in rough straw as his mother struggled to recover from the birth. This humiliation was completely unnecessary, of course, their discomfort being required only to fulfill the senseless decree of the Emperor.

Perhaps that is the point. The Emperor arranged his census this way because he can. He knows that he is the sole sovereign over not only Rome, not only the Mediterranean, but over all of the civilized world. His power is absolute. No authority, no God, no nation dares to oppose his decrees, nor could they. For the first time in human history, there is one man who is immune from revolt, conquest, and plunder. No one makes the claim to be greater than the Emperor.

And what of that baby boy in the stable, at the other end of the spectrum of power from the Emperor who moved his parents like chess pieces, the most powerless person in the world? What will happen to him?

Comments:
I'll bet RRL supports the Emperor, and Lane is for overthrow of the empire.
 
eally interesting post; I didn't know this history.

Two small points of contention that you may not disagree with:

1) You say it was bad enough that it was for taxes, and while taxes in the Roman Empire were hardly used for public good, I'd hesitate to cast "taxes" in the general sense as a negative. I always want to ask those who advocate doing away with taxes what roads they'd like to drive on to what school they'd like to educate their children in, taught by what teachers paid by what. They could mail me a letter to let me know, but there wouldn't be a postal service.

2) I'd also be willing to bet that the Han Dynasty in China, the Emperors of south Asia, and the vast civilizations across Africa might bristle at your definition of "civilization" to determine the Augustus as ruler of all the civilized world.

But, really, I'm just being snarky. I like this post a lot, and ultimately, even if it's Political Mayhem Thursday, Christmas overrules that. (I'll be curious if Anonymous is right though...)
 
Septic--

I think that was from the perspective of the Romans. And the passage in Luke he is actually quoting does refer to "all the world."
 
I must also say how humbling it is to discern the true power behind these politics. Amazing that the same God who used the Empire like a pawn to accomplish His goals and fulfill prophecy (as He did with Egypt, Babylon, Persia...) also chose to come to us as a baby in a manger (what could be more fragile?) and accept the sins of the world.
This is the power (and mercy) of a true king.

Merry Christmas!
 
Why would I ever support the Emperor? I'm always against useless government regulation, and I'm certainly against taxes. If anything, I'm on the side of the little 8 pound 7 ounce baby Jesus.

If there is ever a day to ignore politics this is it. So I will even avoid the temptation to engage Septimus, even though it would be so fun.

Merry Christmas everyone!
 
This is all a metaphor for Obama, right?
 
This is all a metaphor for Bush, right?
Mike
 
It wasn't a metaphor for anything- it was about the power of Christ, that unexpected power. It's Christmas! Get it?
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I withdraw all my snarkiness, and invoke the excuse of having write a paper on Christmas.

And I insert an "R" at the start of my first post.

And I thank Prof Osler for a wonderful post, and wish everyone happiness in whatever holiday they may or may not celebrate.

"Septic"...I like it...
 
I honestly do not, as usual half the time, know what any of you are talking about.

But its okay because it is Christmas and we had a nice time with our little family and we all relaxed and Spencer opened presents and we all enjoyed each others company and cooked and enjoyed the day. Not exactly the Christmases I had as a child, so even better.

And now since Spencer has obviously eaten all of the candy that was in his stocking and he is all sugared up, I have to now stop him from riding his new scooter down the stairs. After that we will eat pie.

So here is a Christmas wish for all of you! I hope your holiday season and the new year are filled with Health and Happiness and lots of laughter. And good grades.
 
I'm not an anarchist.

But, in the spirit of Jul, I would like to say that my ancestors did sack and burn Rome, so that's cool.

Then the Romans (sneaky, sneaky!) converted them to Christianity and made them part of the Empire again. So the little boy in the stable won that one.

So a got Jul to everyone, and I hope the Krampus didn't get you.
 
new BLS blog
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#