Tuesday, December 09, 2008

 

Illinois: Sitting Governor Arrested


Crikeys! In Crim Law news, current Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich has been arrested for some realllly bad corruption (if the charges are true). Apparently, the feds caught him on tape soliciting payments from those hoping to influence his choice for the Senate seat vacated by Barack Obama. The excerpts from the tape make him sound like a particularly greedy individual: "Unless I get something real good [for Senate candidate 1], s***, I’ll just send myself, you know what I’m saying,” Blagojevich was taped saying on November 3rd, the day before Election Day. Doug Berman has a link to the entire affidavit.

Given that Blagojevich's predecessor, George Ryan, is currently doing time (and two other recent governors there have been convicted in the past three decades), who should Illinois turn to next?

I suggest longtime Chicagoland resident The Hamburglar.

Comments:
The hamburglar looks a lot like Blagojevich, in fact.
 
My vote is for Billy Corgan. That guy's ego is so big he would absolutely accept, and his interviews are always so pretentious and unintentionally hilarious that his press conferences would become appointment TV.
 
I vote for Terry "Hulk" Hogan, but only if we can have a time machine so that the governor could be early 90s Santa With Muscles/Rocky III Hulk Hogan and not crappy reality show 2007 Hulk Hogan.
 
The more amusing question is who gets the tainted appointment to the Senate.

I suggest Fran Drescher. That way NY can pick someone with government experience.. like Caroline Kennedy.

(Fran Drescher has nominated herself to take Hillary Clinton's NY Senate seat)

Or maybe whoever loses the Franken/Coleman fight in Minnesota.
 
Fitzmas finally arrived...
 
how about Elliot Spitzer to run ILL?

He's got some free time.

And I just don't see what is so wrong about selling a Senate seat appointment. I mean, its CHICAGO. I 'm just surprised the guy didn't put it on Craig's List.
 
I nominate one of our own here at BLS:

An Illinois native. The one, the only, Jacob George "Chicago" Straub.
 
Chicago! Of course.
 
What is Fitzmas?

Is it anything like Festivus?
 
As if we needed more proof that politicians are corrupt.
 
LOL Tyd!! Craig's list...I haven't seen that one, yet.
 
Well at least George Ryan freed innocent people from death row, and tried to prove that the death penalty was highly flawed. He tried to do something good, even if it was out of guilt for whatever he'd done before that--embezzling I think.
 
Oh, and Larry Craig lost his appeal today, speaking of Craig-inals.
 
So who was Blagojevich talking to, asking for favors?
 
Ahh, politics. It won't matter Shrub Bush Jr. will pardon the worst of 'em in a couple of weeks ... he's already pardoned more than Reagan, Bush Sr. and Clinton combined!
I nominate Lou Pinella.
Fred
 
Clinton pardoned 456 people.

George W. Is currently around 180.

The truth will set you free Fred.
 
I nominate

For IL Gov: OJ
For IL Sen: Michael Vick
For NY Sen: Plaxico Burress
For Car Czar: Pacman

PS That's one heck of a prison team: The Longest Yard III
 
This all must make Louisiana feel a LOT better about itself.
 
Dear Anonymous at 12:08 a.m.
Where did you get your figure, Karl Rove? My total came from "Mr. Reliable" Rush Limbaugh!
Fred
 
As a smarter man than me once said, Blaojevich's second biggest crime is a haircut stolen from the father on "The Brady Bunch."
RFDIII
 
Fred - I've now come to believe you were just kidding, but in case not the stats come from the DOJ.

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/actions_administration.htm
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#