Sunday, November 23, 2008

 

Sunday Reflection: Kung Fu and Christian Humility

For the past month or so, I have been learning Kung Fu at a wonderful local place (great teachers) which follows the seven-star mantis style. My classes are taken in a group of 6-12, which is mostly adults with a few kids mixed in.

Twice a week in class we begin and end each class by arranging ourselves in order of our experience and proficiency in Kung Fu. Because I am the least proficient and newest student, I am the last in line. In front of me in superior positions are several Baylor undergrads, an eleven-year-old boy and a very young girl. There is something about this that I find deeply moving and important-- to be not only a follower, but the least of all those in the room.

Our society places a great value on leadership, but I practice a faith in which following is extremely important. Yes, some are called to lead in a church, but ALL are called to follow the lead of Christ. This following is at the core of the Christian experience; the teachings of Christ are to be given primacy even when they require great sacrifice or are contrary to what society directs. I work hard to be a good follower, but I am deeply flawed at times.

Because I view faith this way, I decided several years ago to have parts of my life where I can practice following skills (which, to a Christian, may be more important than leadership skills). In my church, I have sought no leadership role, and am very conscious of the fact that among the many serious theologians that surround me there, I am one of the less learned people in the congregation. There are other settings, too (like the Kung Fu class) where I am conscious of being in the role of follower, and focus on doing that well.

When I say that I believe in being a follower, I do not mean blindly following an individual; rather, within my faith it means that I do not let my own thoughts outweigh the teachings of Christ. In secular settings, it means that I must recognize that there are others more knowledgeable than I am in that place.

Just as we all know that there are leadership skills, I believe that there are following skills, which must be acknowledged and practiced. To list a few with regard to being a follower in earthly organizations:

1) One must carefully pick the settings in which one will be a conscious follower. For example, you must pick a church where you trust the wisdom of the discourse there. It is crucial to discern and critically evaluate the place where you will be a follower.

2) As a follower, you do have a voice. However, at many times you must learn to still that voice and consider the wisdom of others. If many people disagree with you, it may be that you are wrong in whole or in part.

3) Once you have listened with humility, a follower retains the ability to disagree. However, there are times you must accept that your view will not win out.

There is a lot in our society that celebrates and rewards those identified as leaders, sometimes even when they are not very good leaders. Perhaps we too often see leadership as always preferable, when for many of us, including me, our true role in some settings is to stand in the least honored position, to learn and to grow.

Comments:
I love this post. And I'm not even Christian.

So much of our mainstream culture promotes a "look at me; I'm king of the world!" attitude--or maybe just a "look at me" attitude--that exalts the individual just for being. Not for doing, not for thinking, not for trying or achieving or even for falling down and getting back up.

Shoot--we exalt "look at me; I fell down!" a'plenty.

It seems, as you say, that we also need the time and ... well ... the open eyes ... to recognize the skills, expertise, and knowledge of others. Over and above our own. Humility is an important aspect of true self-esteem, one that is frequently overlooked.

Thanks for the reminder.
 
There is a lot of wisdom in there - we all have much to learn about follower-ship. As the kung fu instructor mentioned in this post, I must say that I approach following in a very similar way; we are all followers and leaders, and while I may be the person who stands at the front of that line of hierarchy in my school, in other venues I am at the back of that line as well. True leadership can only develop from one who has first become a skilled follower.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#