Monday, November 17, 2008

 

Some good advice


Yesterday, I was over at Barnes and Nobles and noticed a bunch of chairs set up. As I often do in those situations, I sat down in one to see what would happen. Almost all the other people sitting there were elementary school kids.

After a while, an older man with white hair came to the front of the room. The parents murmured and there was that sense of excitement that the kids picked up on, even if they didn't know why. I didn't know the man, but for whatever reason he walked over to me and shook my hand, and then another man's, and then he started to speak.

I may have been the only person in Waco never to have heard Grant Teaff speak. It was fascinating, though. He talked to the kids like they were adults, but with a message they would understand. There was not a hint of condescension in what he said, but great conviction.

Like most good speakers, his basic message was simple but sharp: He told the kids they needed to have balance in their lives. He got to this by asking them how many of them watched lots of tv. It was surprising how excitedly many of the kids responded to this, yelling out how many hours of television they watch. They seemed to think that Grant Teaff was going to tell them to watch lots of television. In the end, he told them that the amount of tv they watch should be no more than the amount each day that they spend reading and playing outside.

It made a lot of sense, and it made me think about the balance in my own life. What part of the equation is missing? I suspect that I am a little out of balance these days, and it is not from watching too much television.

Comments:
My guess is you aren't playing outside enough!

I suggest a marshmallow fight or a friendly game of 'Kick the Can'; nice family activities.
 
Grant Teaff ranks somewhere just below Brian Lamb in my list of favorite living Americans.
 
The Razor is certainly out of balance. Too many rants and haikus, not enough recipes. Does anyone here have a decent recipe?
 
Oooh yeah, I have lots 'o recipes, C. Here is an easy one I tried yesterday...a relatively healthy pumpkin muffin..
One box spice cake mix
One 15oz can 100% pumpkin (not the pie filling).
Mix, and bake as directed on box for 24 muffins. These are delicious and under 100 calories each. Yum!
 
What kind of recipe would you like? Darn if the people who like to swim aren't the first to respond.

Orzo Salad:

Cook and cool the Orzo
Toss lightly in 2 Tbsp Vinegar and follow with a Tbsp of Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil (not at the same time).

Salt & Pepper to taste and add:
Diced dried apricots
Scallions &
1/2 Cup toasted Almonds

Refrigerate
Keeps well.

Ginger - those muffins sound great especially for a cold afternoon. May have to go get some spice mix this afternoon.
 
Gin, Tonic, limes.

Mix.
 
Gin, dash of vermouth, olives and ice - stir
 
Grain alcohol
Kool-Aid
One lemon wedge.

Mix with bare leg in trash can.

Serve warm.
 
Grain alcohol
Kool-Aid
One lemon wedge.

Mix with bare leg in trash can.

Serve warm.
 
Harry B -
I remember those days well, but you forgot the part about watching your friends puke for hours on end after drinking too much of the 'trash can' punch. An unfortunate requisite of your recipe.
 
My fav drink recipe is the Lemon Drop as interpreted by the Cheesecake Factory. They will NOT reveal the recipe but here are the ingredients..mix till ya get it right, or don't care!

Ketel One Citroen vodka
Fresh Lemonade, Chilled
Served in martini glass w/sugared rim.
 
ginger-i'll find that drink recipe for ya, dont worry but if i make it, you'll come drink it right?
 
Um, sure Galahad...since you are such a pure knight anyway...

But can we meet at 721 N 4th St in Waco? Yeah, that's where I party at.
 
heyy....i googled that!!
like a chick hasnt pulled that one on me before!
but I can play Lil Wayne Ms. Officer for ya...
Wee Ooh Wee Ooh Wee Oh!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#