Wednesday, November 26, 2008

 

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I like the fact that, other than the turkey industry, there is no one commercializing the holiday. I love the meaning of the holiday even more-- the idea of giving thanks for what it is we have. Some thank God, some give thanks those around them, many consider both, and all are wonderful expressions.

What are you thankful for?

I'm thankful for many people, but I will recognize only a few here. I'm very appreciative of those who have the least heralded positions at Baylor Law. As I've noted before, when I need a pick-me-up, nothing works quite like one of Maria's burritos. It's not just the food, either; when I am there I also listen to her talk to my students, with a knowing and understanding voice.

There are also Jimmy, Nancy, and the other people who clean the law school. I can't tell you how many times I have left the school late in the evening and come across Jimmy deep in conversation with a student, nodding with compassion. At first I was shocked that so many of the students knew the custodian so well, but over time I grew to appreciate what a good thing it is. For some of our students, it might have been one of the best things about law school. I am lucky to have such colleagues.

And you?

Comments:
Jimmy always makes sure to say hello and ask how you're day is, no matter the day, no matter the hour. I think he sometimes knewour schedules and pressures better than we did. At least, he was a familiar face to me when I was in PC/studying for the Bar and never left school some nights.

Seriously. I showered when I went home at dinner and slept 2-3 hours in the parking lot. But no matter how bleary-eyed and disheveled I was, Jimmy'd smile, nod, wave and ask me how I was holding up. +1, Jimmy. +1.
 
You slept in your car? Slacker. I slept under that oak tree in the courtyard, because I would have wasted time going all the way to my car.
 
"Hey there young man."

Those four words, said to me by Jimmy evertime he has seen me at the law school over the past 8 and a half years, and the warm smile that accompany them are truly something to be thankful for.
 
Aw, you guys are bringing back some warm memories of BLS (Im' already in danger of nostaligizing those years entirely).

Nancy had a kind word and a good laugh for me every day around lunch time, but Jimmy and I were ships passing in the night until PC, when on one sorrowfully late evening (working on an embarassing Wren memo through my tears) he caught me in the computer room and spent a good 15 minutes scolding me for "evading" him. He could not believe that I had made it to PC without meeting him. I was so suprised and glad that he took the time to call me out, and formally introduce himself. He drew me out of a deep, depressing funk that evening, and made me remember what I was doing there, just when I needed it most.

Humbling to realize that the best communicators in the entire law school are probably the least well paid.
 
I am thankful I still have a job.
 
I'm thankful for my family flying down just to see me. Especially my Grandpa. He has a rule of not going anywhere or doing anything fun for the first year since my Grandma passed. He made an exception to come down to see me. It really means a lot to me because he wouldn't even go to the cabin.
 
I am thankful that I am back in my house, and that though the whole legal entanglement is not yet over, at least we are back home after 504 days out of it. Let's face it, I spent last Thanksgiving with a goat.

Also I am very very grateful for wonderful friends and neighbors, my kind, loyal hardworking attorneys, my own great family of Bill and Spencer, and the family I married into.

I regret that Riley our ginormous dog did not make it back to the house with us. I like Amy the dog we have now, OKAY but I wish she was a PUG. I have always wanted a PUG.

When this is all over I am going to hire that mediator guy to help me convince Bill to let me get a PUG.
 
I am thankful for so many friends and family and their health and my health. I am thankful that I have 3 happy yellow labs enjoying our new house with us and 4 kitties that like running around outside in the wilds of NC stalking the deer.

This year I am also thankful that although we are embarking on an economic nightmare in this country in another 60 days we will have a new President in our great country to lead us wisely through trobled times ahead.
 
Jimmy is one of a kind. I hold our late night talks very near to my heart.

-BLS alum
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#