Sunday, October 05, 2008

 

Sunday Reflection: Humility and Joy


While I often harp about how a true faith brings hardships, it has also been my experience that faith, and the humility that goes with it, also brings joy. Or, at the least, frees your soul to feel joy, the kind of driving around, singing at the top of your lungs type happiness that comes into a content heart every now and then.

In his own statement about his painting, my dad writes that painting brings "great joy and happiness" into his life. I know this is true-- I have seen it, the happiness and peace he seems to have when the physical representation is coming out the way he hopes. There is music in the studio, and this wonderful sensory assault-- the sounds, the smell of paint, the visual aspect of it all.

I feel the same thing when I write, at times. It's kind of the flip side of the good blues that my dad and I both feel at times. I sing and walk around, muttering to myself, putting together ideas and challenges, and then I laugh at what has come out. To get to that point, though, I do have to be at peace with God and humble, not pretending that I rule the world or am even the first one to have had a given thought. In that place, though... it's the best. And I am thankful.

Comments:
indeed. there's a happiness to be had in the creation of something that would not have existed, if not for you. :)
 
Like in that movie Chariots of Fire. One runner guy is like religious and his sister wants him to quit the Olympics and do the church thing instead and he does not want to quit.. he tells her, "When I run, I feel God's presence."

Like by living up to his true potential he is actually honoring God and the gift he got from him.

Like that.
 
Ok I found the actual quote....

Eric Liddell: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#