Sunday, September 14, 2008

 

Sunday Reflection: The hardest commandment?


No matter how many times Jesus taught us to forgive one another, it seems like we resist. We tend too often to be a church of judgement, not of love, no matter how many times Jesus taught otherwise. We ostracize people who have sinned instead of welcoming them, and see ourselves as superior rather than humbled.

In a lot of churches, this was part of the Gospel reading for this morning, from Matthew 18:21-35:

"Then Peter came and said to him, 'Lord if another member of the church sins against me, how often should I forgive him? As many as seven times?' Jesus said to him, "Not seven times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times.'"

Man, that's tough. And we don't do it. We give up on people, talk bad about them, exclude them, for one or two sins (provided they are sins we aren't openly committing, too).

Could Jesus have been any more straightforward? But still I see so many people in the church who see their job as judging and condemning others, rather than loving and forgiving those whose behavior we disagree with. I think, in short, that we have a problem with letting God be God-- we would rather have that task ourselves, so that we can see ourselves as above others, able to judge and condemn at will. I will admit that there have been times that I have done this, too, and given the clearness of this teaching, perhaps that itself has been one of my greatest sins.

Comments:
This reflection reminds me of the story Dr. O'Brien gave during oral advocacy about the highest ranking member of the KKK and the black minister at the radio station. The black minister told the KKK leader that he loved him, and it changed the KKK leader's heart and life so that he made a complete 180 and started fighting the KKK.

There truly is great power in forgiving others.
 
I have a lot of tattoos. I can cover them all, with a little effort. Last year I attended a Baptist Church service with a friend, and the sermon was about a man with tattoos who was a follower of Jesus. The congregation and preacher laughed openly, as though that was the most ridiculous thing they could imagine--clearly, the marks on my body show me to be a sinner, and my thoughts and beliefs and faith in God can't override that! I decided never to go back to that church. Don't church leaders realize they're alienating people judging them?
 
And what a stupid thing to be judgmental about! Christianity, I think, works best when it is a religion of outsiders, not those in power.
 
Osler, great post. Amen.

Mrs. CL
 
The thing that I find just as challenging as forgiveness--maybe more so--is understanding the views of people who are radically different from my own, and not feeling as though I'm right. Maybe it is sort of the same as forgiveness . . .
 
I always like the Sunday Reflection, but this maybe my favorite.
 
ALL religions work best when they are not the religions of those in power. That prevents the politicization of religion for state ends (or vice versa, and I'm not sure which is worse).
 
It seems that often it is just as hard to forgive oneself, and, as often as not, that may be at the root of a lot of what we try to hold over or against others.

It's a wonder any of us manage to move an inch, let alone take a step.

Thank goodness for eternity. I don't know about y'all, but I'm a-gonna need it, at the rate I'm going!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#