Monday, September 29, 2008

 

Philadelphia, the city of Friends


On my short visit to Philadelphia last week, I got to see two good friends in addition to Judge Dubois and his family. Both date from my days as a student and clerk, and some 17 years later, we are still friends. For you students, I guess this means that the people you are hanging out with may still be in your lives a few decades from now (just without PC exercises).

Mike Schwartz and I lived together second and third year of law school, then shared an apartment while clerking in Philadelphia. Mike is an incredible lawyer, with some skills I will never have. For most of this decade, he served as the head of the U.S. Attorney's Public Corruption section, which is a big deal in Philadelphia (since there tends to be a lot of public corruption). We had a great lunch at the Capitol Grill, and the guy still looks exactly the way he did in law school. Later that day, I ran into another lawyer in town who said something amazing about Mike-- that "even though he has beaten a lot of people in court, there's no one in this town who doesn't like him and admire him."

Hope Freiwald was my co-clerk, and a sharp lawyer even then. For 17 years, she has worked for the firm of Dechert, Price & Rhodes, where she now is a partner. She was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in both 2007 and 2008, and she sure taught me a lot when we served together under Judge Dubois. Though I don't think large-firm practice is right for everyone, there are some with the right set of skills who thrive in that environment, and Hope is one of the best. A few weeks ago, Hope had a fund-raiser for a political candidate at her home. The speaker (in their living room) was Lawrence Tribe. Crikeys.

No matter what I do, it seems my friends do better, and that is a wonderful thing-- to have those you are fond of as friends also be those you admire as professionals. I think the same will be true of many of the students I have the pleasure to teach these days.

Comments:
Public corruption? In Philadelphia? Surely you jest!
 
Ha! I know that you know well how that goes! Aren't you off JAG-ing by now?
 
Yep...been handling cases since the first of September. Gotta say that Legal Assistance is quite interesting. One of those assignments that law school really can't fully prepare you for, that's for sure!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#