Friday, September 12, 2008

 

Haiku Friday, September 12


Yesterday's Political Mayhem was not about the 9/11 tragedy; perhaps it should have been. A year ago on September 11 I wrote this; the year before that I wrote about firefighters late at night.

It's tempting to have a regular haiku friday, with a picture of something fun, but it doesn't feel right.

Yesterday in the Northeast it was a clear, early fall blue-sky day. It's something different than a September day in Texas, in a way I can't exactly describe. Looking at that sky, it took my breath away, because I remember the sight of those planes coming through that sky, into a building.

Later in the day, I landed in Austin, since things have gone on even after that dark day. I got into my car and drove north, very slowly. It was slow because of the traffic, people evacuating from the coast, their cars jammed full of all kinds of stuff, their faces drawn tight and grim. At once, it seemed surreal and to fit exactly the mood of the moment.

So, the haiku today should relate to one or another, the attacks of 9/11 or the hurricane. Here is mine:

Broad hint of Autumn
And such a shocking blue sky
A quiet settles in.

Now, you go:

Comments:
September Friday,
The year is almost over,
A frosty morning.
 
Plane hit Pentagon
Then no planes at all for weeks
Quiet was eerie
 
Whispering first
People in the back of class
And then we all knew.
 
twenty law students
huddled by a radio
no lounge tv yet
 
how could they do it
falling buildings falling leaves
how could we forget
 
Pakistan safehouse
Al Quada's still plotting, so
We take off our shoes.
 
Hey, this isn't a haiku. I think you should check out today's Lariat and what it has to say about Detroit. If you don't get it in the school, you can dl it in pdf format on the site.
 
Terrorists attack
My baby in second grade
Can I protect her?

Save her innocence?
I'm afraid it is gone
Gone forever more.

Rumblings of war
Late night talks reveal wisdom
(She asks me with innocent eyes... "Mama, what if we kill innocent mamas and babies over there")
How can I respond?

She still sees goodness
Goodness in life and people
The terrorists failed

We have the power
What will you choose goodness or evil?
Make a difference
 
We were in highschool
Pete's dad was FDNY
They did find his badge.

RIP.
 
Working in Dallas.
Factory did not shut down.
That was a mistake.
 
blind then, scared now, and
we survived it all somehow
but what have we learned?
 
Totally off topic, but was this a Baylor stunt? -->

http://www.khou.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=282017
 
Driving in DC
Yesterday: each plane I saw
A memory, planes

Over Arlington,
Too close and too many, such
Unwanted omens.
 
Seven years have passed,
yet today, like then-Austin:
how can the sun shine?
 
Seven years ago
My writing made the headlines
I wish it had not
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#