Tuesday, August 05, 2008

 

We're Talkin' Waco!


When I first was considering the job at Baylor, the school sent me a very professional-looking promotional video for Waco, called "We're Talkin' Waco." The theme song, in fact, is still stuck in my head.

The video featured a number of shots of hockey being played at the H.O.T. Coliseum. As a long-time hockey fan, this intrigued me. Even though the team folded before I got here, I kind of admire the idea. A commenter to the previous post noted that the team faced both low attendance and fog on the ice, both of which can be fatal to a hockey team.

Now, I read, Austin has lost their own team, the Ice Bats, which was one of my favorite names in all of sports.

Comments:
Come down to Austin to watch the Bats with me!
 
I think you need a post to explain water mocasins to Tyd
 
Water moccasins are the form of serpent Satan took in the garden. Seriously. Snakes that will drop from trees on to boats scare the you-know-what out of me.

Also, they can swim, which makes them 2x as deadly as normal snakes, because I can't actually avoid them by crossing moving water. This also makes them more dangerous than vampires.

Oh yes, they're also one of the most venomous snakes in the southern US.
 
Best name for a team:

The Macon Whoopee.
 
The Waco Wizards game were fun while they lasted. Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader night was particularly well attended. Drunk patrons would get on the ice, get spun around several times by the cheerleaders, and then were given a hula hoop to "hula" with. Whoever went the longest won Cowboy tickets. I also remember going to the Bell County Expo Center to watch some minor league hockey games as well - I can't remember what team played there.
 
The Ice Bats had a fog problem for a long time, too.
 
My favorite minor league baseball team name (right now) is the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

Minor league team names are just so cool.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#