Monday, August 18, 2008

 

Money-raising ideas


Yesterday I read a magazine which advised that everyone should have three ways to raise cash in a hurry. Given that these methods should be safe and legal, I was stumped at coming up with three. Here is the best I could do (other than toasting and selling marshmallows, as pictured here):

1) Sell My Collection of Historic Toothpastes


Painful as it would be, I would have to part with the half-used tubes of toothpaste I have carefully gathered in the back of my medicine chest. Over the years I have acquired some quite unusual and rare toothpastes, including one which seems to be only for dentures. I would also be able to sell my collection of historic spices, but sadly IPLawGuy "cleaned out my spice box" on a visit a few years ago. Up until that debacle, I was the proud owner of cinnamon and cumin purchased at a store which closed in 1987.

2) Tap into the Strategic Petroleum Receipt Reserves


At some point, I must have thought you could donate gas receipts to charity or something, so I started saving them. Anyways, I'm pretty sure someone on eBay would pay for that, right Prof. Bates?

3) Sell my old hockey equipment


High up in my attic, behind college French textbooks, is a bag full of hockey stuff. The bag bears my number, 13, which I chose as a kid to demonstrate I was the "Boy Without Fear," which was much less important than the fact that I was more accurately described as the "Boy Without Hockey Skills." (Actually, I did have one skill, penalty-killing, which unfortunately is both unglamorous and not very important to a team's success). The stuff is kind of in bad condition and sorely out of date, but somewhere there must be a market for that.

So, what would YOU sell in a hurried emergency?

Comments:
I have an amazing collection of socks which seem to be widowed and on their own. If I can find someone who has half a pair of similar socks, we could do very well.
 
Hey, I really need some old gas receipts. How much do you want for those?
 
I have a bunch of spices I could sell.
 
My blood or plasma.
 
Law books and notecards=)
 
I guess I'd try selling my coin collection and my baseball cards and my records and CDs. I could probaby raise $2000 or more that way. My books too.

But I'd feel like I was selling my soul.

I'd probably sell a car and cut insurance costs by doing so.
 
I would probably sell IPLawGuy's soul, which I bought from his law firm two years ago.
 
Satan--

That's crazy. We have his soul here. He traded it for some of Bobby LaBonte's old driving gloves.
 
I would go on tour as a professional scrabulous player.

It would be Scrbulicious
 
Iplaw if you need money all you have to do with get your daughter a modeling agent
She is totally adorable.
 
I would just switch to Geico and save 15% on my car insurance.
 
I would donate my liver to science.
 
Poseur-

Everyone knows that you already donated your liver to Scruffy's.
 
I have a tube of Italian toothpaste, almost all used, that you might like . . .
 
Actually, I think I left part of my soul in Darlington the day I saw Ricky Craven beat Kurt Busch on the last lap of the Spring race in 2002. One of the greatest finishes ever!

The NASCAR devil probably bought my soul at the Richmond Fairgrounds track in 1986 when I saw Dale Earnhardt put Darrell Waltrip into the wall rather than let Waltrip pass him for the win. I became Die Hard Intimidator fan right then and there.
 
How about things I would NOT sell:

My laptop
My violin
 
My old hockey stuff would probably raise enough money to buy a cup of coffee at Starjacks, if I also add five dollars to the total.
 
My swords.

What?
 
Stef.

- Stef's Roommate
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#