Saturday, July 05, 2008

 

Waco Nirvana



I'm back in Waco, and at the airport someone said they saw me in the paper today. I checked, and in fact the Waco Tribune-Herald had run a version of last Thursdays political screed from the Razor in today's newspaper. You can see the Trib's version here.

Meanwhile, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" still totally rocks. When I first heard that song, I was on a double date in Chicago. I was with a cute Harvard Law student I knew from work, and my buddy (Jeff Levine) was with a somewhat formal girl in a Fair Isle sweater. For some reason, we had taken them to kind of a grungy dance bar in Wicker Park. We were drinking beer and eating Pop-Tarts (the bar sold Pop-Tarts), and the first few notes of this song came on. My buddy and I looked at each other in amazement and went out to dance. It wasn't until the song was over that we realized our stuffy dates hadn't come with us. Which kind of made it even better.


Comments:
Beer and poptarts? That sounds like a well rounded breakfast.
 
I'm not sure I can live in a world where law professors know about Kurt Cobain and his songs. What would Dean Prosser say?
 
LDT--

Yeah, well, kind of a midnight breakfast.
 
I'm gonna go buy some poptarts and beer right now to see how well they mix.
 
By the way, I just realized Smells like teen spirit was the first song I was taught when I learned how to play the drums and later when I picked up guitar.
 
I STILL don't know what he's saying on the chorus. Something about "entertainers ..."
But then, admittedly, I'm old.
RFDIII
 
Nirvana had the top selling album. I'm not scared of a world in which my porfessors know of really popular bands. It's when they know about bands like Tokyo Police Club that I get scared.

And it's "Entertain us".

An intersting note is that when liberaldespot learned "Smells Like Teen Spirit", if he would have played the same riff backwards, he also could play "Rape Me". Which isn't about that, its about the commodification of music.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#