Tuesday, July 08, 2008

 

Northwestern Law Introduces 2-year JD


The staid old law school curriculum has seen a few alternatives crop up lately. I have reported previously about the new program at Washington & Lee, which seems to be borrowing a few of the things that Baylor has been doing for 80 years. Now Northwestern Law is introducing a new 2-year J.D. program that allows for graduation in five semesters (including a summer semester).

The Northwestern plan requires that incoming students have a few years of real-world work experience after college, and seems focused on business law and practice-- for example, there is a required course in finance and accounting.

What's not yet clear is whether the 2-year program will cost less that the full 3-year course of study...

Comments:
The course in finance and accounting should be a requirement at ALL law schools.
 
You know I think this is stupid. Being a lawyer seems really really hard, and you have people's financial destinies in your hands, among other things.... keeping someone out of jail or putting someone bad in it... or getting someone their kids back or whatever it is - SO HARD and so much responsibility.

I know my lawyers are so expensive and I can BARELY afford to pay them to fight the tortfeasors who blew up my house. However, if I had more money, which I do NOT, I would pay them EXTRA. They have been the only people sticking up for us against these big giant utility and insurance cos with huge deep pockets and legal DEPARTMENTS, and somehow they are holding their own.

WHO KNOWS what will happen with the case, I am not supposed to talk about stuff, but a bad outcome for us will not be because of a lack of effort. Maybe I just found really great lawyers thanks to Iplawguy, but those guys are awesome. One went Harvard and one when who knows where, but I would be really nervous about someone who finished it all in two years.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#