Friday, July 04, 2008

 

Haiku Friday-- Independence Day

It's the 4th of July-- the date upon which we celebrate our nation's independence from England, which was declared on July 2, 1776. Which, let's face it, is goofy.

Still, let's haiku about our nation. I know that I am critical of our nation's leadership at times (like yesterday), but I am truly committed to a country that I love. A guy like me really does need freedom of speech, and I recognize and appreciate that our Constitution and culture are what makes that possible. I could never stand to be out of this country for very long, and would make a lousy expatriate. This is my home, in every sense.

Here are the themes:

1) Fireworks
2) Kenny Rogers
3) Baseball
4) Barbecue
5) Free speech
6) Jerry Jeff Walker
7) The Revolutionary War
8) Reasons to still be at least a little miffed at the British
9) American beer
10) General Motors

Here is my haiku:

Brits not in Euro
Also, never wrote up a
simple Constitution!

Now, you go:

Comments:
American beer:
Carbonated vinegar
Tastes a lot better.

Baseball has always
Been the sport closest to my
Heart. Always will be.

RFDIII
 
Studying abroad
in London means no AC
and no DDP :(

I've gotta say it:
London sure smells like urine.
Yum, take a big whiff.

Running away from
London: I'll be in Dublin
This 4th of July!

Commiserate with
my Irish relatives and
Curse the Brits today!
 
Kenny Rogers, yes!
Oh, yes, give me more, Kenny!
I love your chicken.
 
General Motors
Got a little too general
Detroit pays the price.
 
Sounds Like ALV
Could use some Jerry Jeff now-
"London Homesick Blues"

Mr. Bo Jangles-
Had no schooling and no car,
But could run GM.

Gotta love this country
Of Gonzos and Desparados
God bless the USA!
 
Prof. Osler,

Just curious whether it is the celebration of independence that you find goofy, or whether it is the fact that we celebrate our independence on July 4th?

If it is the former, I am speechless.

If it is the latter, do you find it goofy we celebrate Chirst's birth on Dec. 25th, a day in which historians agree was not Christ's true birthday.
 
About the British:
Their beer is far too frothy
Spill it in my car.
 
Lots of fireworks
family and friends around
the best holiday
 
Pool's weird at hotel
Bill found my ring. Spencer swam.
Not bad "stay-cation."
 
My mother told me
Not to pick up fireworks that
Don't fully explode.

So I asked her, "Should
I stick those ones in my mouth?"
I thought that was cute.

She did not agree.
She's so overprotective
('Nother word for nuts)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#