Tuesday, June 17, 2008

 

Wang, Dang, Sweet Garage Sale!


One real benefit to living in a smaller town like Waco is that you have those loveable, goofball eccentrics rolling around town. Like Hollywood, though, our eccentrics tend to be celebrities of a certain type. Hollywood has Lindsey Lohan and Britney Spears, while Waco has George Bush and Ted Nugent. (Confusingly, Jessica Simpson has a foot in both worlds, since she lives in LA but for some reason turns up a lot in Waco-- I think that her grandparents live here).

Ted Nugent has been following me (or I've been following him, depending on the chronology). We both lived in Michigan until middle age, then decamped for Waco. Ted has a column in the local paper which I read every Sunday (one Sunday, the columnists were me, Ted, and AG Mukasey). Ted's writing varies a lot, but I have to give him credit for keeping it personal; he reveals a lot about his own life in his column.

This week's column was my favorite ever. As you can see here, he's having a garage sale this weekend and will be selling off antlers, couches, and bunches of animal heads. Will I be there? You bet I will!

Comments:
You know... the cabin could use some taxidermic specimen. Perhaps you'll come across a nice boar head or oryx antler. I'll go halvsies with you.
 
The Razor MUST HAVE photos of you and The NUGE!!!!

If he has any old, cool rock and roll records, get them for me. (Yes, I still have an excellent turntable)
 
Sleepy Walleye! You are BACK! We have missed you.
 
So if he has all those antlers and animal heads, that must mean he has lots of guns . . . unless he just has a thing for buying expensive animal heads, already stuffed.

Yeah, gotta have an antler photo for the Razor I think. Sans the guns.
 
I've been working too hard for the past few months. Too much administrative busy-work. Not enough clinical time. I've been reading the Razor, but have not been able to forge the mental energy to contribute.
After a very long winter and a cold wet spring, summer has arrived in the Northstar State and everyone's attitude has greatly improved. I'm hoping to get some peaceful moments at work again.
The Sleepy Walleye requires tranquil waters in which to dream and create marginally thoughtful responses to the oceanic musings of the Razor community.
 
I've got some time on my hands today.

You might find this interesting.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080613/SPORTS0103/806130376/1128
 
Little known fact about the Nuge: When my brother was a junior in highschool, he was arrested for bringing a (Confederate War era) rifle to school, and a minor scandal ensued. In addition to being the #1 search on Yahoo that day and getting a call to appear on "Access Hollywood", we also got a letter from The Ted Nugent Sportsmen of America (or something like that), offering support for my family. I was hoping he would show up and play Wango Tango in the yard, but no luck. That's the closest we ever got to a celebrity, other than the time Iggy Pop pushed my uncle's wheelchair into a funeral.
 
Wait a minute....

we need to know more about Iggy Pop and the Grandfather at the Funeral.
 
Jessica--

Is there a reason that both your celebrity stories are about people from Detroit? I thought you were from Vermont... and also, did you just call the War of Northern Aggression the "Confederate War?" Don't let Powell hear about that.
 
I demand a photo of the Nuge doing a sic 'em.
 
Actually, I was born in VT, but I lived in NY from the age of 3, until law school. The Detroit thing is just a coincidence. Iggy Pop's former manager lived in the same small town as me, and that's why he was at the funeral, where he pushed my uncle (not grandfather), a good friend of said former-manager, into the funeral (my aunt couldn't manage on the loose-stone driveway). As for the Nuge, well I guess he (or his sportsmen's club) just enjoys getting involved with anything involving guns. And as for the war things, oops. If you doubted by northern-ness, I suppose it just came out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#