Sunday, June 15, 2008

 

Tim Russert 1950-2008


Tim Russert died this Friday. He was many things-- a lawyer, a journalist, the host of Meet The Press for 17 years, a guy who went to Woodstock in a Buffalo Bills jersey and carrying a case of beer, and an author who humbly portrayed himself as a son to a hard-working father.

In the summer of 2007, I was working on my book in New York City. I hoped that I could be an author, that I could write a book and someone would publish it (dreams that are now coming true), but I had no idea what being an author involved. I would write or research all day, and in the evening I would go to hear authors discuss their work. There were usually four or five events to choose from, and I heard some fascinating presentations.

One night, I went to hear Tim Russert talk about the book he wrote about his father. I didn't know much about Tim Russert, but I walked in the rain from 44th St. to Union Square to see him. It wasn't a drizzle, either, but one of those drenching rains where people in New York run at full pace with newspapers over their heads. Stepping into a bookstore on a day like that is like stepping into a wonderful refuge for thought, a sanctuary not only from the weather but the background noise of our lives that drowns out any single, beautiful note.

Russert gave a wonderful talk. His dad, Big Russ, was a lot like my dad. Russert was kind to his audience, too-- to the person who really couldn't remember their question, or the guy who said that Russert was too mean to a certain Democrat. Listening to him made me want to do two things, both of which I did. First, it made me want to call up my dad. Second, it made me want to put more of myself in the book I was writing, to make it more real and human and personal, and I did that, too.

Tim Russert was many things, and one of them was guy whose thoughts could be worth a long walk in the rain.

Comments:
Russert was an excellent journalist, a worthy heir to the wonderful line of journalists who honed their craft during World War II.

His comment about having the bravery to put more of yourself into your work, of having the courage to share your secrets (good and bad) with your reader, is something I've heard a lot from writers I respect in recent years. The more honest the writing, the more likely that writing will resonate with a reader.

It is something I struggle with in my nonfiction, in part -- I suppose -- because of my training as a journalist. It's easier in my fiction.

I'm glad you got to hear him. I'm glad you shared that memory with us.

RFDIII
 
I was sad to hear that he had died, and it was a shock that he was so young. I was not a Meet the Press person really but I saw him everytime he was on the Today Show. I also read his book about his Dad and it was excellent. He seemed very real.
 
Russert was a regular on the Imus radio show. He was a great guest as well as a great interviewer.

One of the things I liked about him was despite his background as a partisan Democrat working for Cuomo, he really seemed to treat everyone the same. He went after inconsistencies and mistakes and looke for the substance to back up talking points, but he did not go after personalities.
 
you know he kind of actually LOOKED a little bit like Osler I think... seriously.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#