Sunday, June 22, 2008

 

Scott Walker stepping down


Last week, the minister at First Baptist Church of Waco, Dr. Scott Walker, announced that he is stepping down. Though he is not my own pastor (I am a member of Seventh and James), Scott is one of my favorite preachers. At the risk of sounding a little church-obsessed, I will admit that many Sundays before attending 7th and James, I watch Scott's sermon on television. This morning, as I watched his sermon from last week announcing his resignation, I was moved and saddened.

I have also gotten to know Scott personally, and he was one of my primary encouragers as I started working on my book. His own books are great, and I look to him as a mentor as an author.

Scott has given a lot to this community, and I don't doubt that the next chapter of his career will be worthwhile as well, not only for him, but for the rest of us as well.

Comments:
I agree. Scott's a good guy and a fine writer. I hope we'll continue to see him around the neighborhood.
RFDIII
 
Scott was my pastor as a child in Charleston. He was one of the biggest influences in my life outside of my family. I knew him well as a teen and babysat his children when they were young. He will continue to do great things and influence many people. He is as real as they get. I wish him and his family the best. My life is wonderful and secure partly because of his influence!!! Good luck Dr. Walker! You are meant to do great things in this world. Tell the kiddos hello for me!
 
My family and I were members at First Baptist from 1994 to 1998, while I worked on a phd in religion at Baylor. Scott and Beth were wonderful. We returned to Houston in 1998, but still miss them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#