Wednesday, May 21, 2008

 

Will American Airlines finally succeed in driving away their customers?


American Airlines announced today that they will both stop running 11-12% of their flights and begin charging passengers $15 to check a bag. As for the first idea, well, given American's flight-cancellation problems, they may have already done this without us noticing. On the second, I can imagine that is going to bug some people.

Naturally, all of this is blamed on oil prices, and that certainly does have all of the airlines in a bind. American's management, however, made some poor decisions that are exacerbating the pain. Over the past few years American has tried to become more profitable by not buying new planes, instead relying on out-of-date and fuel-guzzling MD-80's. During those years, they could have financed more efficient jets, but did not.

Now that the oil shock has hit, the credit market has also dried up, meaning they cannot easily finance those new jets that now look like a much better idea. Instead, they are going to retire some of the old fleet and just not fly those routes anymore. So the remaining planes will be more crowded, the fliers will be upset about paying to check luggage, and there will still be no food available. Sigh.

Will we respond by flying less, or flying on a better airline, like Southwest? If we do, American will slip into bankruptcy, and the government may well bail them out instead of letting them die, which would be the better fate in terms of economic policy, just desserts, and ultimately, good air service.

As I have said before, I think you can bail out companies, or you can deregulate, but you shouldn't do both-- the theory of deregulation is letting the market work, and if you save failing companies, you are not letting the market work.

Comments:
Is that panda in first class?
 
They aren't the first airlines to make passengers pay for services like checking a bag. I just had to pay 15 Euros for seat reservations on LTU, this new-ish ("low-cost")German airline. I hear the seats are REALLY close together, too.

But I guess that's what you get for low cost.

Regarding American, I think Osler's probably right about letting American go down the tubes this time. Especially with an airline, where safety is critical, it seems doing anything half-hearted like a bailout doesn't serve the passengers in the long run. And when there are other, better airlines out there.

With Amtrak, it's different (I think) because there's only one passenger rail system in the US.
 
I knew I should have booked Canada Air for my flight to London next month... But as much as it annoys me that I'll be out $30 to check a darn bag, I do kind of hope that they wait on going bankrupt until after I'm back on US soil. I guess it's a good thing I never bothered to sign up for American frequent flier miles...

The proliferation of pandas is unnerving, by the way - are they like the French, trying to take over the blog? I know I wore a panda shirt to the school this morning, but I'm anti-panda-blogging (that is, blogging by pandas, not about pandas). Think of the number of typos there'll be with those big paws of theirs.
 
The real problem here is that by forcing people to pay for checked luggage many will opt to carry their bags on. This will do nothing but further delay flights as every Tom, Dick, and Harry tries to shove an oversized, overstuffed, bag into the overhead compartment. This, in turn, will start to drive away the customers AA really wants - guys like me whose clients pay for me up front on full fare refundable tickets. Why would I fly an airline that is consistently late because it takes an hour to board the coach section? No thanks.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I just flew American, and I have to say that the service was good and on-time. The bag thing is a horrible idea, as TradeLawGuy has pointed out. The weary travellers such Tradelaw and myself, grow even wearier of the people who carry everything, including the kitchen sink, on to the freakin´plane!. I check my junk hoping that it will be lost--no dice on this last trip, however, my bagged showed up in about five minutes, filthy thing. I wanted the money. But I did notice that the inexperienced travellers bring every darn thing in their house on to the plane. What are they thinking? It is really annoying to watch anyone try to wrestle a fifty pound carry-on into the overhead, especially if they are vertically challenged. Do you help or not? American really needs some need management and some new ideas or they are going down the tubes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#