Saturday, May 03, 2008

 

Two Great Scholars, followed by a mob


Two of my favorite legal academics are David Skeel of the University of Pennsylvania law school and William Stuntz of Harvard Law School. They are wonderful writers whose stuff I would enjoy reading even if I wasn't in the field of law. The fact that their work, in combination, covers both Christianity and criminal law means that I run into their work all the time in the course of my own research. Skeel's The Unbearable Lightness of Christian Scholarship has been, for me, a personal primer on what my scholarship (at least my Christian scholarship) should do. Though some other Christian academics have been upset about it, I think he is exactly right. Stuntz's The Pathological Politics of Criminal Law, in turn, is one of the very best, perhaps the best, academic article I have ever read.

Now, these two guys have combined to start a blog, Less Than The Least. It's full of great stuff, as you might expect. And there is something intriguing going on there, too, in the comments section. In posts like this one, their considered observations are followed by a barrage of attacks from the right. If this is, in fact, one of the few places on the internet where people read the work of those they disagree with, that's all to the good, as that kind of crossover is too rare.

[Question: When is Reagan Baby getting a blog? It seems like a natural.]

Comments:
Osler,

Here's an article about the continuance of executions.
 
Clark--

I read that this morning. It's odd, the hurry... I talk about that in my book. Which, by the way, I'm waiting to get the proofs for any day now.
 
1.
Reverend Wright.... I listened to his speech online and he talked about the powder crack thing you always talk about. It was interesting. It is TOTALLY unfair.

2. Remember when you were on TV last year commenting on that case of that woman who was having sex in her driveway with her boyfriend in his car and her husband came home and caught them and so she yelled RAPE and then her husband shot her boyfriend and killed him?

Her husband was not charged with killing the guy but she was, and she was convicted.
 
In Bexar County, a lot of cops are arresting people for DWI on a de facto reasonable suspicion standard. If you refuse to blow, you are almost guaranteed to be arrested and charged, even though your case is more likely to be dismissed. There are definitely some politics within the criminal justice system. Looks like a very timely article.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#