Saturday, May 17, 2008

 

Puttin' It Out There



Last night I went down to Gruene Hall with some good friends to see Todd Snider. Gruene Hall is a great place to see a show, especially one that relies on some feedback from the audience. It was my first time to see Todd Snider, and he put on a strong show. I love it when you can tell the band loves what they do, and that was certainly true last night.

Growing up around artists and musicians, I know part of the anxiety that can precede a show like that. Performers and artists have to put their work out there, and there is a real vulnerability to it. When I see people liking what artists do, I always breathe a sigh of relief. Of course, I have never been an artist or musician myself.

Still, there is an aspect of performance to what I do. Every day in class I have an audience, and a really important one, each of whom is paying a lot to get into the show (much more than one has to pay for a show at Gruene Hall, even if you went every day). There is a duty that goes with that, a responsibility. And, sometimes, that anxiety comes with it, too.

When I write, there is that vulnerability, too. You send it out there and lose control over that thing-- anyone can take it and react to it, love it or hate it. People can think you are an idiot or a genius, call you a fundamentalist or a flaming liberal dope (I'm one of the few people who have been called both at one time or another). Sometimes, too, your thoughts can find a home in someplace you never expected.

Comments:
Oh, that's not such a bad place! At least, somebody read your article and is taking action on it--and mightly quickly, too.
 
I imagine that your anticipated audience was a bit different (Congress, federal court judges, fellow law professors, and law students). But certainly the "Drug War Injustice" blog, its readers, and the affected family memebers are more inextricably involved with the Federal Sentencing Guidelines than the anticipated audience.

I have not read your article, but according to the DWI blogger you suggested starting over with the guidelines from scratch. With a new Congress and a new Justice Dept. coming in the next eight months, a coalition of law professors and well-spoken affected families might make more headway in achieving the goal of comprehensive revisions than either group might achieve alone.
 
Lurch--

Yeah, the timing is good. An abbreviated version will come out in the Federal Sentencing Reporter this summer, and then in January there will be an issue of responses-- people saying what they would do with a clean slate. Just in time for the new Congress...
 
I saw Todd Snider last Wednesday at the Granada Theater in Dallas. Good show.
 
Make that Thursday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#