Friday, May 16, 2008

 

Ha... Ha... Haiku!



At Baylor, it is the start of another quarter, once again. The summer is always quieter than the others, always more gentle in a way. There are the new people, the summer starters, and from the little I have seen this is a good group. While I love seeing them, at the same time I kind of wish I was still in New York. Eudora Welty described that thing I love best about it, that it is a "city of brilliant moments." One, for me, was finding this image. The tape, I think, was holding together the glass where it had cracked, but did they mean to make such a perfect cross?

For now, though, are we ready, after one full week for some... haiku? This week, we will relax all technical requirements. Here are some suggested topics:

1) The Godfather, Part I
2) The Godfather, Part II
3) The Godfather, Part III
4) Speed Racer
5) Summer comes
6) Favorite hymns
7) Best desserts
8) The proper role of coffee
9) Summer work
10) What is art?

I know it when I...
See it? The true standard, that,
Summer swelter, art.

Now it is your turn:

Comments:
"Drop the gun,
Take the cannolli"
Brilliance.
 
and, can i say, that is an amazing picture. where do you find these things?
 
Iced coffee makes
Me vibrate strangely at night,
Sleeps eludes body.
 
Summer came late to
Swiss alps. Suddenly there's light,
Light, light everywhere.

Azure-pink heights jump out
Each day, tantalizing,
Luring me away

From work. Work? Work?
Summer? Why do those two things
Have to coincide?
 
Summer cannollis
Drift down the river, sprightly
I catch them by hand.
 
Moist, still air
The lavatory of summer
Texas cesspool.
 
I hate these Yankees.
Texas are so much nicer.
When can I come back?
 
Spencer can be bad.
He can get hyper, defiant,
a little monster....

BUT - in swimming class
He takes my breath away. He
is fearless, agile,

Controlled, graceful - like
a fish. Watching him find his
passion? Poetry.

He comes alive in the
water, listens intently,
does it all perfectly.

The other kids jump and
wiggle, he is focused. Such
a gift to watch him.
 
Morning coffee pot,
Full of steam and promises.
Wish I had some now
 
luca sleeps with fish
sonny c somehow gets clipped
michael fixes it.
 
Yankees, Southerners,
Texans, Californians and more
DC is a salad.
 
Two things won't return
Back to the Motor City
Osler and the Cup
 
you may remember
summer volleyball and beer
saganaga lake
 
Godfather III, proof,
That no one is perfect, not
even very close.

Thick, dark, sweet Turkish
coffee. It's best when you cut
it instead of pour.

Octapi on ice!
A curious phenomenon, no?
Only in Detroit.

RFDIII
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#