Tuesday, May 20, 2008

 

Boating safety protocols violated


1) It doesn't seem like it would take too much to keep a sternwheel paddleboat afloat on a very flat lake, but we have trouble with that here in Waco. Last year the Brazos Belle sank in a storm (I remember pieces floating by the law school), and now it has happened again. According to the Waco Trib, the Spirit of the River paddleboat has now joined the crowd in Waco's own Davey Jones locker. It sank yesterday during a particularly boneheaded maneuver in which the owners somehow ran the hose and pump backwards and instead of pumping water out of the boat, they pumped water in. Doh! One can only hope that they were wearing their personal floatation devices, as PFD Panda (pictured here with newsman Charles Gibson) advises.

2) This morning I was listening to the local sports talk radio show, when I heard the host (Paul Catalina) say "you know, it's like that story in the Book of Ezekial..." Now, don't get me wrong-- I love both the Bible and sports, and having them come together is fine, but I'm not sure many other sports shows quote Ezekial. I liked it a lot.

Comments:
my favorite nickname for waco is jerusalem on the brazos. it's seemed relevant given your second anecdote.
 
I was listening then as well. Did you try to win tickets to see Indy in Dallas?
 
Kia-- No, I heard that just as I was stepping out of the car to go into Common Grounds for some coffee. It took a minute to sink in that the sports talk guys were talking knowledgeably about the Bible.
 
Count yourself fortunate. When we hear "That's so DC" someone has usually been shot, bribed, committed adultery, started a war, etc.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#