Thursday, May 15, 2008

 

Another bad idea: Pro-smoking ads shown with kids' movies!


As I was seeing the movie Speed Racer, I saw a weird advertisement. It showed a boy (of course, too young to smoke) saying "People don't need to smoke too much. They just need... [cue animated dancing magical unicorn] The Magical Amount, The Magical Amount [by this point, more forest creatures have joined in]..." It goes on like this for a few minutes. I really can't decide whether this is a pro-smoking ad, satiracal anti-smoking ad (didn't work), or an ad for a nicotine patch.

Comments:
http://www.weshow.com/us/p/31833/anti_smoking_ad_truth_magical_amount_2008
 
Anti-smoking. They are making fun of the tobacco companies that stated in their reports that so long as you smoke the magical amount, it is not harmful. Exposing the lies of the tobacco company is the goal. I liked it.
 
Well, since I stole this post verbatim from an actual kid's blog, it seems like it's not working so well on the target audience...
 
Maybe its not tobacco they're smoking, esp. if its magical.
 
Sarcasm is lost on children. They don't get it.
 
Tyd--
I beg to differ! I'm pretty used to satire and sarcasm (thet post that I wrote was an example), and I read The Razor reguraly, whickh helps immensely.
 
Also, I now realize that it said "The Magical Amount of Truth" at the end. Didn't catch it the first time around.
 
Micah....

I guess I meant younger children. First of all I do not consider you a true child as you seem to be very wise beyond your years. You are actually very intelligent, but you don't me to tell you this.

I guess I am thinking of a child like my 4 year old Spencer..Four year olds do not understand sarcasm. Or at least mine does not.
 
The one with the tiny babies is pretty horrible too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#