Monday, March 17, 2008

 

Deregulation or bailouts: Pick one, not both



I realize that I have been a little heavy with political and economic diatribes of late, but I really can't stop myself on this one.

The Federal Reserve, with the support of the Bush Administration, has bailed out Bear Stearns, one of the most reckless finance houses, which got up to its eyeballs in bad home loan debt. Bear Stearns isn't a traditional bank (though it is involved in investment banking). However, it was able to get involved in traditional banking functions because the financial industries were deregulated.

I'm ok with deregulation. I think it often has good effects, and is based in sound principles. However, those principles involve letting markets work-- that is, letting companies die, even when that causes some dislocation.

I'm also ok with bailouts. Sometimes, key players in given industries need government assistant to survive, and the government can be well-positioned to make those calls.

What I'm not ok with is having both deregulation and bailouts. Bailouts counteract the market forces we are supposed to be trusting with deregulation. They can make sense, but only if we accept the principle of government intervention in markets at opportune times, which is also going to mean... appropriate regulation.

Behind all this is my sneaking suspicion that this administration is ok with deregulation and free trade where it harms individuals, but can't stomach sticking with markets when those markets turn on corporations and rich people. Letting things sort out through free markets hurts the weak players in those markets. We should hold the same principles whether those players are individuals or corporations.

Comments:
Did Gordon make that call? I should have known...
 
My question is, What happened to Charlie Rose? I watched his show last night about this and he had this tremendous black eye.

I wonder if he got into a scuffle with MacNeil or Lehrer
 
Gordon is clearly depressed about the economy. He is an advocate of a return to gold-backed currency.
 
I fear the Fed and The White House and Congress have all forgotten a basic rule: When You're in a Hole, sometimes the best thing to do is stop digging.
 
IPLG--

I would qualify that statement. At least if you listen to talk radio, the parties represent different principles: Republicans believe in markets, and Democrats believe in government.

To stay true to their own principles, the Republicans should stop digging, but it seems they are doing a lot of it, when it is their wealthy friends they are helping.

Republicans traditionally are unprincipled in this same way on agricultural policies-- they support lots of government intervention when they are helping big agribusiness, and this support has gone a long ways towards destroying family farms.

It's ok to say "Democrats do it too!", but that is not a violation of their principles-- they believe in active government intervention in markets.
 
Last night on Spongebob Squarepants, there was a Starfish named Patrick! His name is Patrick Star! That's because he is a starfish. He is Spongebob's friend. My question is, why would a sponge and a starfish be friends? Wouldn't they fight over the same food? It's like at the Pottery Barn, where you have people fighting over the same things, where they both want to buy it. I think the economy is like that. Osler, I find you very confusing and want to talk about tv!
 
9:47--

Play nice!
 
I think it's only because his name was Bear. If it was Poindexter or Gertrude, they wouldn't care.
 
I am taking time out of my busy TV watching schedule to inform you that if “tydwblech” does not like me then I must be doing something right. If you are a soon-to-be attorney - wow, VERY NICE! I hope all of your clients are as brilliant as you are.

I have to go because I have a busy day planned. Martha is making a toaster cozy out of pine cones and dryer lint, and I don't want to miss it. I may squeeze in some forensic accounting today because I am in the fight of my life with like six utility companies because my house exploded, but only AFTER As The World Turns.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#