Thursday, February 21, 2008

 

These days, you can turn in your grades from anywhere...


Unlike Prof. Serr, I'm not phoning it in from the slopes; rather, it is 11 at night and my kitchen counter is covered with tests, observation papers, student plea agreements and notes on motion hearings, but... I have just sent in my grades from the winter session of criminal practice. They aren't due until March, but I wanted to get them in as soon as I could.

There are a lot of things I can do better as a teacher, and for this quarter I am focusing on two: Getting grades in at least two weeks before deadline, and upgrading my performance in PR. The first task is done, and on the second I have made things better, I hope. Acknowledging that I don't teach well from cases (which don't often define PR rules, anyways), I simplified the reading by ditching the cases and relying more on hypos and (hopefully) clearer lectures.

Comments:
It looks like those other people are examining the structural damage the bridge suffered when Serr ran into it while skiing and talking on the phone at the same time.

Do I hear "caption contest?"
 
Isn't your kitchen counter usually covered with newspapers and bits of food from your cooking "experiments"? We've all read your recipes and seen you in the photo with the bread you purportedly cooked. Will these student papers ever see the light of day or are they doomed to become part of tomorrow's recycling, or worse yet, ground up to become pulp for a loaf of some overly chewy loaf of 7 grain bread?
 
IPLG--

Does paper count as one of the seven grains?

What a bizarre thought-- kind of a twist on "Soylent Green,"-- I could bake the student's finals into bread and then serve it back to them!

Hey, IPLG, did you buy a car yet?
 
Yes, the IPlawfamily traded in my 2003 Audi A4 Convertible, purchased well before Iplawwife and Iplawkid came into my life and picked up a brand new four door Jeep Wrangler. Iplawwife used to have a regular 2 door Jeep Wrangler when she was a California Beach Babe. Her eyes welled up with tears of joy when we test drove the new car.

And of course, the new Jeep will be the Mommymobile, as Iplawwife's cute, but tiny little Scion A4 won't accomodate IPlawkid's carseat and soon to be born IplawbabyII's infant seat.

So guess what this bigtime Washington lawyer is now driving to work? Yep, that's me in the Scion!

We're looking at used PT Cruisers.... The convertible kind.... with 5 speed manual transmissions.

Either that or I will paint flames on the side of the Scion.
 
If only other professors could be as honest with themselves as you and work towards improving their performance...
 
Yay for both of those! The grading lag always drives me crazy. Also, those case assignments for PR were brutal. The one where we had to diagram the facts about the corporate take over still makes me twitch.

Happy Birthday, by the way.
 
Carver--

Well, in this case my performance was not up to that of most of my colleagues, I think. We all have different talents, and mine just isn't socratic method/case-intensive. Fortunately, the classes I teach are amenable to other forms of teaching, so I am going to use those techniques I am better at (I hope).

Meanwhile, I'm on my way to California in the rain.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#