Sunday, February 17, 2008

 

My Day in Kentucky


Richard Bales at Northern Kentucky University's Chase College of Law invited me to speak to the Chase faculty last Friday as part of their "faculty workshop" series. Prof. Bales had noticed some of the ideas I had posted over at the Law School Innovation blog, and thought it might be interesting for them to hear more.

The NKU faculty seemed to like it, and I know that I did. I really enjoyed the audience I had there, and was impressed by their faculty. Like Baylor, they focus on the practical aspects of legal education, and after my talk I received some questions about exactly that. There is a growing divide in legal education between those schools that focus on skills and doctrine (the "professional school" approach) and others which spend more effort through teaching and scholarship on interdisciplinary study of economics, gender, race, literature, and philosophy (the "graduate school" approach). Baylor is firmly on one side of that divide, and I am proud of that, though I also value the education I got as a law student at the paradigm of the graduate school model.

Next week I will get a taste of the other side of this debate when I moderate a discussion of natural law at Pepperdine among several prominent philosophers, including Dallas Willard. More on that later in the week.

Comments:
We are on trip to the Oregon coast.

Heard for the last 95 miles:
"mommy where is the aquarium?
"mommy where is the aquarium?
"mommy where is the aquarium?
"mommy where is the aquarium?"

Help.
 
Our parents had us play 20 questions on long car trips. That worked for 10 minutes or so.
 
I have a great Dallas Willard story to share.

Did you know he's a Baylor grad?

He came to Baylor a while back and talked in Tidwell 305. Looked around and said, "well, this is where it all happened."

it was really a magical moment. I was so happy to be a part of still making it all happen in that very room...

now it is all happening in morrison 105.. but life goes on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#