Sunday, February 03, 2008

 

Baylor Law Professor Ed Horner, a beloved colleague and teacher


My colleague and friend Ed Horner (pictured at right with Angus McSwain and Matt Dawson) died Friday night at the age of 92. Up to the very end, he was in the office every week and was a familiar sight in the law school.

When I began at Baylor, Ed was one of those who greeted me most warmly and made me feel welcome. Over time, I came to admire him as a teacher and colleague. No one could rival his affection for his students; he not only remembered each one but where they sat in his class, which is incredible for someone who began teaching in 1948. I will admit to eavesdropping at times when one of those old students would come to see him, and their conversations made it clear that his teaching had made a measurable impact on the lives of those in his classes.

We will miss Ed Horner very much, and I only hope that I can develop some fraction of the talents he had and shared so freely.

Comments:
A sad day indeed for Baylor Law. Although I never had the opportunity to take a class from Professor Horner or get to know him for that matter, I loved the fact that he would often sit and eat his lunch in the student lounge and always welcomed or even initiated conversation with the students. His presence will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
 
Like 1:53, I will also miss Prof. Horner, who was one of those individuals who helped shape BLS's distinct character. I, too, came to BLS too late to take a class with him, but many a time we shared a laugh - or more importantly, he shared a piece of advice or a word of encouragement during that 1L year.

Your law professors become your mentors who teach you how to live professionally as your parents taught you how to live personally. Prof. Horner - and the rest of our professors emeriti - are the grandparents around this place who, when you feel like you can't seem to do right by your 'parents' - take you in, spoil you a bit, and send you right back into the fray.

Prof. Horner, you will be missed. I regret only that we were unable to share a class or the bar.
 
Prof Horner was one of the people that make BLS unique. He reminded us that law school is more than bricks and laptops, that it can be a proving ground and a place of family. His words and his smiles made this young lawyer feel that her feet follow in a path of great honor.
 
I am sad to hear that. He was a bright spot of encouragement several times in an elevator ride up at the law school, especially on days in first year for many of us when law school did not seem like such a great idea. He was very kind and friendly, and I wish the best for his family. They must be so proud of his life.
 
Prof. Horner was one of the first people that I met at BLS and, in his inevitably friendly way, he discovered that we had a few things and people in common. Among the many reasons that I came to Baylor was the fact that Prof. Horner still had an office there. I'm surprised he is gone. I saw him only a couple of weeks ago, still working. I hope he can enjoy his rest now.
 
I can't imagine the disquieting silence of the third floor without his typewriter.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#